Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-26-2010, 10:40 AM   #1
mrjetskey

starting a shower redo

First off let me say hi!to all the old timers I see are still here ,I havent had time to come into forum much,but thanks for all the help you guys have given me and my home!!I wanted to show you guys what I found ,here is a few parts behind the ugly faux marble used in late 89 when my home was built,THis has to be one of the shoddiest plumbing and layout I have seen,with 5?8" shims stuck to studs etc.oh and 2 months after we moved in the downstairs light fixture filled with water,the original plumbers had forgotten to solder the two joints where the hot and cold go into shower valve,they were just shoved on and held in place by the studs.Needless to say after I found that out,every joint that I could get too I checked,all were ok,perhaps the old beer can explains it.oh and the 2" drop in my wash room in case of flooding,floor has a center 2" drain,it isnt a drain just a drain inset to fool anyone who looked.I have redone all other showers and rooms,this is last of the mohicans (right my home has 8 or 9 rooms and wife gets bored with the look) I just wanted to ask what type drain this is and to show you some of the work that goes on when youre not watching.Is this a typical swanstone drain or type where the rubber/caulk gasket slides down over the drain pipe stub??I was overseas when my inside of home was finished!!pay particular attn .to the 22 yr old beercan behind a tub cover,and the shoddy sweat joints and filler used to level marble!! my wife wants to use white porcelin tile with accents as she wants rose colored walls(pink rose) and glass inserts.I really like the travertine that I used in my bath downstairs,please tell her how bad white tile will look and how it should never be used in showers!!(I know I'm asking you to fib a bit)thanks>Marvin
Attached Images

Last edited by mrjetskey; 04-26-2010 at 11:42 AM.
mrjetskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-26-2010, 12:14 PM   #2
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Retired Moderator

Hi Marvin,

Hard to tell from the photo, but Swanstone drains are part of the Swanstone bases, not separate drains. I believe Oatey (and others) makes a separate drain that has a rubber gasket between it and the riser, maybe that's what you have there.

Hey what do you want, he wedged some chunks of wood in there to keep the pipes from shakin. And nail plates too, that was his premium install for sure. And everybody knows, solder costs extra, sheesh. Busch beer... well, as long as it's really hot out and that stuff is really cold, OK.

And I agree Marvin, white tile will look very very bad in a shower. Travertine is preferred over any white tile always.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2010, 09:54 AM   #3
mrjetskey

ASking a pro

I know this question isnt a normal one,But I have started redoing our upstairs shower,it has a shower pan that is in great shape the preformed marble dust and epoxy type.The plumbing and drain is in great shape,since its on our 2nd story,and we have huge heat /cold differences in seasons,I would like to keep the pan for safety reasons,it is very heavy well set,no wobbles no leaks,the question is?Is it possible to put a layer of tile or river rocks in it,It would save me tons of time,and in summer I am busy at work 24/7 ,wife already had me take marblelite or whatever walls down,and sheet rock out,is there any type drain that I could accomplish what I want to do?I know the correct answer would be to rip it all out start fresh,but I just cant throw a perfectly good 900.00 pan out,thats what new one like it lists for that has never ever leaked a drop,and is built to last a 100yrs or more,please tell me if my saving it is possible and what kind of drain might work,it has a slope built in,and current drain is pvc with rubber packing,Thanks>Marvin
Unread 06-08-2010, 10:32 AM   #4
dhagin

Can you post a few photos of the pan Marvin?

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
Unread 06-08-2010, 10:35 AM   #5
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin
...I would like to keep the pan for safety reasons....
Not sure I understand that at all, Marvin. What would be the safety aspect of keeping the existing receptor?

If you like the pan, and if you're confident it is sound and does not leak after all your demolition and such, no reason you can't keep it. Careful of the ifs, though.

This the same shower you were asking about in your thread back in April? The one with the plumbing problems?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2010, 04:41 PM   #6
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

I realllllly should get a sales commissions from these guys

Let me google that for you http://www.pebblemat.com/

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2010, 09:28 AM   #7
mrjetskey

Smile

no different shower cx I got that one knocked out,I may have asked about this one a year or two ago,Its one of those late 80s early 90s style bathroom,that has a two wall shower,and two glass sides,with a sub wall dividing the tub,The theory here is to,remove all marble,lookalike ,including the front of tub,leave tub, use through face type water controls,use real white marble to do shower ,window,front of tub,and the sub wall or whatever left of it.I always have a plan,but so many times when remodeling you run into unseen problems so I sort of wing it,the first pic is of shower I finished 6 months ago,the others are of the one I'm asking about,( at least my wife hates niches so that makes shower rebuilding much easier on me)Thanks>Marvin PS how about the great plumbing job??I found out 2 yrs later when I had a few leaks that the builder fired the plumbers after they finished my house,well he shouldnt have given a 10 yr warranty,He made it right!!! Ps CX the safety aspect is I know it doesnt leak and my wifes kitchen is directly below,There would not be much of my rear left if droplets of water came raining down on here while she was cooking,hence the safety aspect deals only with my body parts!!! ALSO IS THERE ANY TYPE DRAIN THAT WILL ALLOW ME TO USE THIS PAN<WITH A LAYER OF RIVER ROCKS INSIDE IT????THANKS AGAIN!!>MARVIN
Attached Images

Last edited by mrjetskey; 06-09-2010 at 10:24 AM.
mrjetskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2010, 05:28 PM   #8
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CX Post 2
If you like the pan, and if you're confident it is sound and does not leak after all your demolition and such, no reason you can't keep it. Careful of the ifs, though.
Got your PM, Marvin. Don't know what I can add to the above.

As for your "safety" issue, we help all our visitors build showers that don't leak. That's not an "issue" at all here on new shower construction. Done correctly, they don't leak. Period.

Re-using an existing receptor is another story. You're the only one can judge whether your receptor is still intact and leak free, and whether you can attach new waterproofing for your shower to it, leak free. It doesn't look to me like it has any sort of tiling flange. I'd worry about that, but you may not.

I can make new shower pans a number of different ways and guarantee they won't leak. I could offer no such warranty on what you've got.

Again, up to you.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2010, 05:42 PM   #9
Houston Remodeler

STAR Senior Contributor

I don't see a tiling flange on that pan.

Unread 06-10-2010, 01:33 PM   #10
dhagin

Redoing that pan will cost what, $50 in materials and an additional day? Redo it and get r done.

Unread 06-12-2010, 09:08 AM   #11
mrjetskey

Smile

OK you guys just reaffirmed what I already knew,That pan had that bs marble look alike that was used 20+yrs ago,there was no waterproofing on the walls behind it, yet I guess the only place it could leak was the joints at the pan as it was one piece walls.I've read and re-read each shower article in here for 5 yrs .I know the right way is the only way to do it.Thanks for keeping me honest and now I can extend the shower and not be confined by the tray.no tiling flange with a tile shower would be a leak waiting to happen.Thank you !!!>Marvin PS. the home depot here in conroe says kerdi what????all they have is a thick plastic inner tube looking liner!!!!
Unread 06-12-2010, 01:08 PM   #12
Houston Remodeler

STAR Senior Contributor

Conroe Texas?

I don't know of any retail suppliers of kerdi round these parts.

Unread 07-06-2010, 12:24 PM   #13
mrjetskey

inside pipe cutter

How do I remove an upstairs pan with no way to get under it to cut drain free or does this type of pan the premade have a rubber seal that slides??I cant see anything except top of pan,it will be ok building a new pan, but I dont want to tear up plumbing getting this one out,Thanks>Marvin
Attached Images

Unread 07-06-2010, 12:27 PM   #14
Boilermaker 98
Boilermaker

Marvin:

That drain looks like it has the rubber gasket as the seal. The base should lift of with a little elbow grease.
Unread 07-06-2010, 12:36 PM   #15
mrjetskey

Smile

thanks thats what it looked like,however I didnt know if that was possible,I'm off to do battle with it, will let you know how it turns out>thanks>Marvin

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase