Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 11-23-2008, 09:53 PM   #1
hilarys

Polished Marble Haze and Other Issues

I just had a 1" hexagon polished carrera marble floor installed in my laundry and have two issues:
1. There is a haze on the tile, I assume from the grout. The surface looks like it has a light cloudy smear on it. Since the marble is polished (though see issue #2 below), it looks like I can't use most haze removers. Should I try acetone? A marble polishing liquid? And/or, as a last result, Aqua Mix Grout Haze Clean-up, which I see someone on this forum used successfully on polished marble (though the directions say not to use on polished)? I can't seem to find firm advice on what product to use to clean grout haze off *polished* marble.
2. The installer's guy told me at the end, when I pointed out the haze, that he used vinegar on the marble to clean it. Great. It looks like it did dull the surface, though I can't be sure through the haze. Should I just go over it with a polishing cream before I seal the floor with 511 Porous Plus? I don't think I want to hire a professional to repolish. In hindsight, I should have gone with the honed marble!

Thanks for any guidance.
hilarys is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-24-2008, 05:38 AM   #2
thegroutguy
Cole The Grout Guy Inc.

I am assuming that modified grout was installed and not epoxy. I have used grout strip by walter legge company.
www.leggesystems.com. It is alcohol based and will not ruin polished marble. I have also used bartenders helper and a moist towel, not to mention a lot of elbow grease.
Unread 11-24-2008, 03:37 PM   #3
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

The haze may actually be the etching caused by the vinegar,try a rag and some plain water on a piece,let it dry,it chould clean any residue off,if not it will probably need polishing.It may also be latex haze.I don't use Barkeepers friend on polished stone since it has oxalic acid in it,but who knows it may help repolish it.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2008, 04:37 PM   #4
hilarys

Thanks for the replies. I was able to get off what I thought was haze with a stone cleaner. The problem now seems to be that the vinegar and sanded grout (!) did indeed scratch the surface. Arg, I really should have ordered the honed tile. Does anyone recommend any of the honing powders, such as the "Knockdown" by Aqua Mix?
Unread 11-24-2008, 06:27 PM   #5
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

Okay....in order to hone you need a machine,either hand machine or buffer,with a white pad,although some use a more aggresive pad.even black,and you have to do something with the sanded grout,it will release sand as you hone and scratch the marble, now if it's tiny 1x1's you may get by with honing and leaving the grout in.Some also use an acid to take off the polish but you need experience for this, a mixture of vinegar and water and a certain amount of dwell time usually does it.I could never walk you through it over the keyboard though.

Unread 11-25-2008, 03:02 PM   #6
hilarys

Would it be easier to polish it, rather than hone? Looks like both require a professional, but I'm wondering which will give me a better finish given that it's in a semi-polished state. I'm going to ask the installer to do something about it when he comes by to check out the job; I still owe him 50%.
Unread 11-25-2008, 03:56 PM   #7
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

Not being able to see it,i'm not sure, but i would say honing would be easier.

Unread 11-26-2008, 07:05 AM   #8
GraniteGirl
Ms. Makita

Send a message via Yahoo to GraniteGirl
What Dave said. The sanded grout will be a problem regardless. You are right - you should have gone with the honed stone - it would have been much easier to care for.

www.IslandSoapstone.com

Relax - it's a rock! What could go wrong?!

GraniteGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2008, 04:22 PM   #9
doitright
Retired Tile & Stone Contractor

Hi Hilary, Welcome!

You're in a difficult situation. You owe your installer money, who used some incorrect methods and materials for the initial installation. He is surely not going to give you good advice on correction (since he messed it up in the first place x 2).

Honing will leave a duller finish with a loss of color compared to the polished stone. Polished mosaics have very unique & beautiful look compared to honed.

Honed will be easier to maintain, and not be so prone to show etching.

First make a decision on the ultimate look that you are after. While polishing mosaic marble with sanded grout can be difficult (if not problematic), it is possible. In the meantime, I would seek a credit from your installer vs. let him attempt to correct his wrongs.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase