Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-17-2007, 08:35 AM   #1
Dano382
Dan

Dano's Bath Project

Hello all, newbie here. Just want to say this is a great website and have been lurking for awhile. My question is I want to move the location of my shower valve and plumbing to the other side of shower. Only problem is my bathroom wall is backed to outside wall of house and my electrical panel is there. I'm sure there is a CA bulding code on this. Is this safe or do I need to keep it where it's at and reconfigure my shower/bath remodel.

I have alot of questions to follow and plan on buying John's book. I will post pics to follow and show progress. I just finished demo and bathroom it down to studs.

Any help would be great.
Dano382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-17-2007, 08:39 AM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Dano382. Please give us a first name to use.

So long as you can comfortably get the plumbing past the electrical box and wiring, I know of no restriction on rerouting it in that wall. I'm not familiar with any California codes, though.

You on a concrete slab foundation?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2007, 12:07 PM   #3
-Christopher

Good plumber site

plbg.org

Kinda like this place - for plumbing questions.

Christopher

-Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2007, 03:57 PM   #4
ckl111
Home Builder

Are you talking about the electrical panel or the meter base? I don't think the panel would be located outside unless it's in the garage.

This is a question that I think an electrician would know more than a plumber. I know the answer for Ontario, Canada but you have to ask a CA electrician for any meaningful advice at your location. You shouldn't rely on general advice from people in different states.
Unread 09-17-2007, 03:59 PM   #5
cx
Moderator emeritus

Lotsa exterior mounted service-entry boxes hereabouts, Colin.

But if that's what he's got, it wouldn't likely interfere with the plumbing. Not sure just what he's dealing with.

Unread 09-17-2007, 04:03 PM   #6
ckl111
Home Builder

Yes CX, the service entry box is located outside and that what I call a meter base because the electrical meter is attached.

I consider the "Panel" as where the circuit breakers are located. I didn't think breaker panels would be put outside for security reasons.
Unread 09-17-2007, 04:03 PM   #7
opiethetileman

Location: in a closet with a pail of hydroban and a pail of spectraLock waiting to get out.
I wouldnt put the vlave on the hot wall no way. I redid a shower about 7 months ago. It was backed up the panel box for the whole house. i tore the shower apart not knwoing this and wow I got the hell shocked out of me a 26 oz eastwing claw went in it. Not to mention after it was all free of debri the box was cored bad. i wouldnt do it. and If I was hired to do it i still wouldnt do it.
opiethetileman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2007, 04:09 PM   #8
cx
Moderator emeritus

The meter box and the service entry box (breakers) are frequently not co-located here, Colin, frequently not even attached to the same building.

And a lotta times a main breaker panel outside as the service entry and one or more breaker panels inside the building.

Could someone come by and turn off your electric for you in the middle of the night? Yep. Could he get shot rather easily while doing so? Yep to that, too.

Unread 09-17-2007, 04:16 PM   #9
ckl111
Home Builder

CX,

I agree with you generally that the plumbing won't interfere with the electrical but everybody has their own building code to deal so I didn't want to give advice that would give someone the impression that they don't have to check locally.

California is kinda weird anyway. I always wondered about warning label on all sorts of products that say " This product has been known to cause cancer in rats in California". Does that mean it's safe for the rest of us to use since we're not in California???? I was using some Spackle once when the client read the side of the container and saw the warning. She made use scrape all the spackle off the nail holes because she didn't want that cancer causing stuff in her house. The problem is just about everything says it may cause cancer in rats in California. What to do? What to do?

Last edited by ckl111; 09-17-2007 at 04:22 PM.
ckl111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2007, 05:52 PM   #10
TedL

Quote:
Only problem is my bathroom wall is backed to outside wall of house and my electrical panel is there.
Is the panel mounted on the outside surface of that wall, or set into the wall?

What's in the panel?
Unread 09-17-2007, 07:26 PM   #11
Randyj

I do know that the code in Birmingham, AL prohibits water lines running across a power box or switch box or even across a mechanical room where electric panels are located....not exactly sure how that is worded. Personally, I think you should pose the question on terrylove.com .... an excellent plumbing & remodeling forum.

I'll do anything for a buck, but give me your plumbing & tile jobs 1st!
http://www.smithlake.info/BusinessCa...3-265BBB7BA441
Randyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2007, 07:50 PM   #12
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
code in Birmingham, AL prohibits water lines running across a power box or switch box or even across a mechanical room where electric panels are located..
Inside the walls, Randy?

I think if it's a call that's questionable at all, he aughta be running it by his local inspector to see for sure what's gonna be approved. Hafta have a lot more information here to know if it's even questionable, though.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Unread 09-17-2007, 07:57 PM   #13
Dano382
Dan

Dan is the first name. Here are some pics of what I am talking about. It's a breaker/meter panel that is on the outside of house. The bath wall has the back of box in the wall. I want to build a step/walk in shower. It was a tub/shower before.

I want to put a frameless glass style in but with the toilet in the way of where the door can go I would have to move valve and shower head to left side by panel. Also it wouldn't be centered on that wall cause electrical box is in the way.

Should I just go with a sliding shower door system and leave valve/shower head where they are? Also should I center the drain or if slope is good I can leave it where it is?
Attached Images

Dano382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2007, 08:09 PM   #14
ckl111
Home Builder

code or not , I wouldn't be comfortable putting a shower valve in the same cavity as that panel since it is in the wall. Leaks happen all the time. It would have been a different story of the panel was surface mounted on the outside.

The only way I would do it is maybe put a sheet of poly and plywood and then frame out a wall in front for the plumbing. It would make the shower smaller but it would be safer. You would still need to check with the local authorities if this is allowed.
Unread 09-17-2007, 08:13 PM   #15
ckl111
Home Builder

Actually, why would the toilet be in the way of the door? The hinges for the glass door can go on the wall where the electrical panel is and the fixed panel of glass next to the the toilet.

If you don't center the drain you will have a tough time getting the proper slope on the base. It will be very steep on one side or else you will have different size tiles on the first row. To make a long story short, center the drain

Last edited by ckl111; 09-17-2007 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Clarification
ckl111 is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase