Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-05-2006, 01:19 AM   #1
Sincraft

Toilet Flange issues - New Marble

Greetings all, first time poster...long time lurker..
Please excuse me if this has been posted before, I searched but somehow didn't hit my situation.

My project:
I am remodeling a powder room. Completely gutted everything, including the walls. Redrywalled everything, painted (one more coat to go on walls), but before I wainescot, I have to set my MARBLE tile because a baseboard has to go in first (slotted) that will hold the wainescot slats.
I have a completely bare subfloor, that I preped and secured any and all questionable nails with 3 inch screws.

My problem:
1.My old closet flange sitting on the subfloor is rusty. Not completely, but bad enough that the bolts would rip right through if used again.
Home depot plumber guys told me to use this metal disc/star thingy that has screw holes outside of the perimeter of the normal closet flange.
Is this the way to do this? The old closet flange (the plastic part) is seemingly cemented to the actual waste pipe, I tried to pry...jimmy..turn , but it's all connected.

2.Another problem I have is that I will have to be very careful with my HARDIBACKER to come as close to and around these points and up to the old flange so that I can tile as close to this as possible , otherwise my toilet will show lines from the tile.

3 MY BIGGEST issue is, after the first layer of cement, then 1/2 hardibacker, then more cement, then my 3/8 tile, I will be probably an 1"+ off of the floor! The top of the flange is only 3/8"heavy tops.

Suggestions PLEASE!

Thanks!

S
Sincraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-05-2006, 01:33 AM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Hi S, welcome to the site.
What is your waste pipe made from? Seems like you are describing PVC. If your waste pipe is PVC, you can simply cut off the old one from below the floor, extend the pipe with a coupling and short section of pipe, and install a new closet flange after the tile is in.

No matter what your drain pipes is, you can always install closet flange extenders like these to build up the existing closet flange:
Attached Images

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase