Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-14-2022, 08:13 PM   #1
skyjayhawk

Pool Retiling Help Needed

Hello experts! We are regrouting our vintage porcelain pool tile in preparation for pool resurfacing with pebbletec. Existing grout is sanded and epoxy not an option. We have extensive indoor tiling experience but no outdoor and submersible experience. Need advice on the best cement based sanded grout (manufacturer and product name) for swimming pool in southwest, preferably one step and does not require sealing and is bright white. TIA!
skyjayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-15-2022, 06:45 AM   #2
CaliGrown

Just waterline tile?

Any high performance grout such as Custom’s Prism, Laticrete’s Permacolor, Arden’s FL and Mapei’s Ultracolor FA will set you up for success. It’s what I use for every pool we do, only caveat is if you can source it is to use water with some AntiHydro to mix your grout with.

Depending where ya live in relation to me, I can get ya some on the cheap

Btw, Epoxy grout is trash for pools… it’s no loss and will save ya the extra trouble all the way around. Brightest white I’ve found is Customs new “Artic White” but Mapei’s “Avalanche” doesn’t disappoint either.

Last edited by CaliGrown; 11-15-2022 at 06:47 AM. Reason: BS Commentary
CaliGrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2022, 04:43 PM   #3
jerrymlr1

The best grout for a pool IMO are portland cement based grouts. Even without the Anti-Hydro they last. Add the AH and the grout is pretty much bulletproof, rock hard, and will minimize or eliminate water migration and efflorescence.

AH does not work with Prism, Ultracolor, or any of the fast setting grouts. AH only reacts and works with portland cement. I use it in all my mortars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
Epoxy grout is trash for pools
I couldn't agree more.
Unread 11-15-2022, 08:46 PM   #4
skyjayhawk

Jerry and Cali, thank you for your guidance. very helpful. I'm perplexed why all pool tile companies are recommending to use Epoxy. Reading reviews, sounds expensive, tricky to use and with medicore long term results.

Cali- yes, just the waterline is tile. The surface will soon be pebbletec. We are in Scottsdale AZ. Our pool surface contractor said his tile guy uses C-Cure. Any thoughts on this grout? The company is being bought out by Custom. Of the suggested products, which have you had the best results in pool application?

Jerry - I've read all your postings about mixing your own grout and adding AH. We will consider this but we're hoping to identify a sanded grout that doesn't require sealing or additives and will be super white AND is known to be long lasting in pool environment.

Our pool surface contractor said his tile guy uses C-Cure MP sanded . Any thoughts on this grout? The company is being bought out by Custom. And is very hard to find in AZ.
Unread 11-16-2022, 06:53 AM   #5
CaliGrown

Haven’t seen c-cure here, looked it up and looks comparable to custom’s Polyblend. That’s the go to grout for anything that’s builder grade and is used all the time without issue.
Be just fine for your pool tile, that’s what my father in law buys when the pool supply house doesn’t have the standard tec grout. AH can be added to this one but clean mixing water is just as good.
Prism or Ultracolor FA are my go tos, when I get to grouting due to availability and function(speed).

Thanks Jerry, I’ll stop wasting AH with them fast setters. Keep it in my thinset and fat mud only from here on
Unread 11-16-2022, 09:00 AM   #6
skyjayhawk

We will go with the mapei ultracolor fa in avalanche. Used it in our recent bath remodel and it turned out great. Thanks again for your help!
Unread 11-18-2022, 01:57 PM   #7
pdeluca

Ultracolor Plus F/A is a good choice and you can fill the water after 3 full days of grouting.
pdeluca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2022, 08:02 PM   #8
skyjayhawk

How to safely reach tile in deep end pool?

Hi experts. We're regrouting our pool tile. Pool is empty. The deep end is 7 feet deep with the tile at this end rising 4 feet from waterline as a feature wall. We need ideas on how to safely work on that end of the pool. Example how to put scaffolding up on a bottom that is not flat. TIA!
Unread 11-18-2022, 09:06 PM   #9
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Sky.

It'll help if you'll keep all your project questions on one thread so folks can see what you're working on and what's been previously asked and answered. A moderator can give it a more generic title any time you'd like to suggest one.

A photo or two would likely be very helpful in responding to this question.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2022, 11:47 PM   #10
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

You can get adjustable screw leveling jacks for the bottom legs of scaffolding. You can usually rent them at the same place you can rent scaffolding. You might need to also cut wood wedges if the bottom is particularly curved under the foot of the jack.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2022, 03:20 AM   #11
skyjayhawk

Good idea! Did not know that scaffolding could be adjusted as such. Thank you!
Unread 11-22-2022, 07:16 PM   #12
CaliGrown

Are ya replastering??

If so, Can use metal stakes and a hammer drill to run planks in the pool walls. Drill a 5/8 bit and slam them stakes in with a mini sledge. We do ‘em for Reno’s and deep pools if there’s raised walls or poor access from above.

Can also use lean to scaffolds if you wanna invest
Pics of both in action
Attached Images

Unread 11-23-2022, 11:50 AM   #13
skyjayhawk

Good ideas on access to deep end tile. Thanks!
Unread 11-23-2022, 11:59 AM   #14
skyjayhawk

Caulk or no caulk

Our current waterline tile has silicone caulk between the waterline field tile and the white cap tile. We are using Mapei Ultracolor FA grout to regrout. Should we replace the caulk with caulk or just use the grout? I'm seeing competing recommendations and wanted to get your expert opinions. Fyi...the existing caulk is in remarkable shape for being 30 years old!
Attached Images

Last edited by skyjayhawk; 11-23-2022 at 12:34 PM.
Unread 12-03-2022, 10:02 PM   #15
skyjayhawk

Anyone have advice re: silicone caulk between waterline and coping/cap tile? Should we caulk or just use grout?
Attached Images

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase