Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-19-2022, 10:28 PM   #1
jkull

Relief cut concern.

Bathroom remodel taking place in our master bathroom at the moment. I happen to have done a good bit of tiling myself, including in our home, thus have my ‘own’ personal standards and preferences with situations as these… Though I understand not everyone is the same with these little details. Tile is large format, 24x48” porcelain. Installers came to a doorway during tile install in which they had rebuilt for a small toilet room. This required a relief cut to be made, no way around it, as there is a small ‘L’ to the doorway. Had the installer maybe ran this by me ahead of time I would have been able to address this ‘easier?’..

We are paying good money for this Reno (25k). This Reno will be with us as long as we are in this house I would feel safe to say. Prep and tile work itself has been great from these guys, but I hate to see this relief cut. I realize it is a PITA to tear a few studs and dry wall down to perhaps replace a tile in this area without a relief cut. Really just a few extra hours of their time to have this floor be nearly perfect really. I have mentioned my distaste for the exposed cut to them, and in my opinion, it’s worth the time to do what is required to eliminate it. I might add, it would have been wiser perhaps to do the relief on the inside of the toilet room, rather than the outside, in the main open portion of the bathroom. He did this as it was the area to make the ‘shortest’ relief cut.

Am I wrong to ask this to be done? I’m looking at this as a one and done Reno on this bathroom and if I were doing the work myself, I personally wouldn’t leave it, but that’s just how I am…. Would appreciate others opinions on this. Ty

Relief cut is the 4-5” grouted line you see extending from the corner in these photos.
Attached Images

Last edited by jkull; 10-19-2022 at 10:38 PM.
jkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-20-2022, 05:52 AM   #2
jkull

Quick drawing displaying the configuration here, if the photos aren’t quite showing well enough. This shows why they needed to do the relief cut.
Attached Images

Unread 10-20-2022, 07:12 AM   #3
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Looks like they did a tidy job with that cut but, yeah, might have been better placed inside the toilet room. On the other hand, if it were placed in the toilet room, the users of at space would have multiple...opportunities to study and contemplate the cut being there.

Nevertheless, that you're asking for opinions here, that cut clearly bugs ya. Since you are paying someone to do this job, have them fix it - so long as you have an extra tile, from the same batch, to fix it with.

Did they use a lippage control system with those large tiles? If so, it's unlikely they'll be able to set a new tile using that system so it might be a challenge to get the replacement tile right, resulting in a bit of lippage.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2022, 07:44 AM   #4
Just In Tile LLC

I'm all about going the extra mile Justin, as a tile man exclusively though I wouldn't really be expected to move studs or rip out drywall to avoid a cut. Of course a conversation might happen before the cut or I'd layout and see what's the best way to avoid a cut like that in large tile.

Personally what I did when those situations arose and no one is around to ask, I end up using my dry cutter and snapping the tile instead of cutting it. Since cutting removes the width of the blade you use and snapping does not I was able to hide a relief cuts very well. But in no way would I move framing for something like that, and if the conversation came to that it would be someone other then myself to do it. I get where you're coming from on how easy it is to move something like that, but I think there's a good argument that it's outside the scope of work of any flooring person.
Unread 10-20-2022, 08:07 AM   #5
jkull

SS. They did use leveling spacers, but I think if they clean up the mortar down to the hardy, and make sure the new mortar isn’t to heavy in that spot, (granted it is strong porcelain lol, I think they could make it work. And indeed they did to a tidy job.

Just-In. If they were only laying tile I agree, it might be a bit excessive. But these guys are doing the whole job. Had the room down to studs. Floor, tile, plumbing, all of it. That said, they can tear it down quick enough. A few studs and drywall.

Noticed this morning they placed a 24” cut in the shower. Now if it were me and with all other tile in the house, I haven’t, nor would I do this. It also happens to be eye level right in the shower. I don’t personally think this is something you should avoid doing. Cuts are for the outside, or inner corners. The grout line is stroll straight and even, but I’m just a particular person. Maybe a little annoying..Perhaps they cut the hole for the shower head with the tile the wrong way accidentally, not sure. I’d rather them had scrapped it and grabbed a new tile. The cut is a vertical 24” cut, the forum is rotating the photo when I upload it that’s all. As far as I’m concerned these two tiles could be addressed. Photo attached
Attached Images

Last edited by jkull; 10-20-2022 at 08:13 AM.
Unread 10-20-2022, 08:10 AM   #6
Kman

I would have done the same as Justin with a snap cutter. And I would have put it inside the toilet room so it was less likely to be noticed.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2022, 08:48 AM   #7
jkull

I’m at work. Just exchanged texts. He stated he is going to change out the shower tile that is cut. I just gave him the option you guys are stating for the floor. Pull the tile , do a new one, snap cut the piece inside of the toilet room. I like that idea. The snapped piece will be up against that inside wall and I think they could lay it level with conjoining side, and tight, and wedge it against the wall to hold snug to it.. He feels like it is “too much work to do something that not guaranteed to be better than what’s there now”…. Don’t know how I feel

Last edited by jkull; 10-20-2022 at 09:05 AM.
Unread 10-20-2022, 04:21 PM   #8
john619

Tell them that you will feel a lot better about it.
Unread 10-20-2022, 08:12 PM   #9
Kman

Justin, I don't think the part that's cut with the snap cutter will be against the wall in that closet, but in line with the door jamb. That's the only way the larger piece will fit around that corner. I'll try to use your drawing to show what I mean.

I get why he put the cut where he did. It's the shortest cut of all the possibilities. But to me, it's also the most conspicuous because it's out in the main part of the bathroom. I just think there's a better option.

Unread 10-20-2022, 08:15 PM   #10
Kman

Here's where I probably would have made the cut:

Name:  C85D67C5-A370-43FC-862D-A5DCEF1D76A9~2.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  24.8 KB

Unread 10-20-2022, 10:00 PM   #11
jkull

Yes Kman exactly. That’s where I meant as well. What my wording meant to say is that, the small cut piece would be up against the wall where he could shim it tightly against the snapped edge helping assure it ends up nice and tight to show the snap as little as possible.

The guys at this moment don’t want to do it. If I really pushed them on it I suppose they would however.
Unread 10-21-2022, 04:42 AM   #12
Just In Tile LLC

I think push-back on your suggestion is to be expected Justin, no one wants to tear out work, but in the end I think your view is reasonable enough to warrant a change on the tile. Tile is demolition when it's not right and us tile guys try to avoid that, but we also know we are providing a finish product. I think we can assume that is something that will bother or annoy you every time you see it-which it rightfully should when given there's a better placement of it.

I'd probably insist on the change

Of course they risk chipping other tiles around it and pulling those up if that happens which also stinks.... but this is the game we're in.
Unread 10-21-2022, 09:52 AM   #13
jkull

Thanks Just-In.

Took another look at the floor and am seeing that moving the relief cut inside of the toilet room is not possible. This is due to the other side of the pocket door which also extends into that same tile. It extends roughly 5 inches. This photo will show you, if you imagine fitting the tile with the relief cut we have state, you would be unable. A fix would require tearing back the left wall.
Attached Images

Unread 10-21-2022, 03:41 PM   #14
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Seems to me the easiest fix is to remove the tile in the doorway and replace it with the cut you want.

Personally, as long as there were perimeter joints all around I wouldn't even worry about it.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2022, 05:23 PM   #15
Kman

Justin, it would probably still work. You'd just have to lift up one side of the tile enough to clear the wall, slide it into place, then set it.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase