Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-13-2014, 12:40 PM   #1
abalchik

Test for Loose Tiles

I am working on re-tiling a shower. I put up cement backer board and utilized Versabond thinset to put up stone tiles. I put up one wall of tile and let it dry for a week. The next week some tiles fell off when I removed the spacers. I then tried to use a chisel and hammer to remove the thinset were the tiles fell off however, other tiles also started to fall off when I tried to chip away the thinset. I believe the mistake I made was mixing to much thinset at a time, and it started to dry because I was slow at learning how to tile. I also made the mistake of adding water when the thinset was dry (I now know that is a terrible idea) to try to get it back to the right consistency.

I’m trying to decide if I need to remove all the tiles or if I can check each tile to see how secure it is. How secure should a stone tile be, and should you be able to use a hammer and chisel on cement backerboard without stone tiles falling off?

Thank you for any input you may have,
Adam
Unread 07-13-2014, 12:46 PM   #2
Giuseppex

You set the tile so think back to where you used the bad thinset that was either re-tempered or hardened over. A knock test with margin trowel handle can help determine.

A wide sharp wood chisel can make quick work of old thinset on cement board with hand pressure.
Unread 07-13-2014, 12:47 PM   #3
Richard Tunison
Retired Tile Contractor

Hi Adam and welcome.

I would go ahead and remove the rest of the tiles. What kind of stone is it?

You answered your own question on the thinset........it has to be wet and glistening when the stone is set into it and remixing it with water is a big no, no.

May I ask how your waterproofed your shower?

Do your have pictures of the build and your current situation that you can share?

You can use the paperclip icon in the post reply box to upload files from your computer. If under 2Mb in size the forum will resize them to fit.
Unread 07-13-2014, 03:30 PM   #4
Kman

You may not have much success removing the thinset off cement board. Replacing the cement board might be your best option.

You are probably correct that you mixed up a little too much thinset at once. Cement board will also draw the moisture out of the thinset, not terribly fast, but fast enough that you can't mess around once it's on the wall. Comb out three or four square feet, get it covered quick, and move on. You can determine if the thinset is too dry by lightly touching it. If there is a little transfer onto your fingers, it's still good. If not, it's too dry.

When you mix thinset, start out by going with the instructions on the bag regarding the water-to-powder ratio. You may have to use a little less or more water depending on the temperature and humidity. After you get it where you want it, let it sit for ten minutes, stir it again, and immediately start using it. I always try to have everything ready before I even dump powder in the bucket so I don't get sidetracked.

Also, natural stone requires near 100% coverage and contact. One way to accomplish this is to skim thinset on the back of each tile immediately before setting it in wet thinset.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2014, 04:10 PM   #5
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

It's not a bad idea to spray the CBU down with water ahead of spreading thinset. It doesn't have to be saturated, just give it a drink so it's not sucking the water out of your thinset. A pump up garden sprayer is good for this or grab a wet sponge and wipe down the wall just before spreading thinset.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2014, 06:00 PM   #6
lou432
Tile Man -- Southern New Hampsire

And another thought is coulda been stone dust on da back of the stone tiles creating an even bigger bond breaker? I wipe all my stone tile backs off with a moist micro fiber before I set in thinset. Learnt the leason the hard way!

White sand+ blue water .
Find the grace in things that you can`t change, and help some body if you can!
"Van Zant"
I`d rather be on my Harley thinking about God than in Church thinking about my Harley .

My Tile Work Pictures
lou432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2014, 07:29 PM   #7
abalchik

Thanks for the Quick Replies

The shower was already finished when I bought the house, but after a few years I noticed some cracked grout in the corner of the shower. I likely waited to long to fix it and when I went to grind out the grout, the green backer board was completely destroyed in that area. I ended knocking down all of existing tile and the green backerboard. I left the existing shower pan, put up plastic sheeting followed by the cement backerboard and the attached picture is where I am now (I had already tried scrapping off the thinset on the left side). I used travertine stone for the wall I am having issues with.

I will work on taking down the rest of the tile next weekend and follow all of your advice when I start to re-tile that wall.

Thanks for all of your input!
Attached Images

Unread 07-13-2014, 08:14 PM   #8
Kman

Adam, after looking at your pictures, I think the tiles falling off is the result of a number of things. I see that the ridges in the thinset are still pronounced. They should have been smashed down when the tile was set. This tells me the thinset was too dry. Also, those particular tile tend to have a bit of dust on them which will affect the bond, like Lou mentioned.

It's a good idea to remove a freshly set tile every once in a while and check for coverage on the tile and wall. This will tell you if you're doing it right. You should have near 100% coverage on the back of the tile and the wall.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2014, 08:52 PM   #9
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Another possibility is that the trowel notches were too small. Periodically check for coverage like Kevin said.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase