Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-15-2022, 08:26 PM   #1
Collmm

Delta 500 tub flange

Hi everyone-
I have so appreciated the advice from the John Bridge community over the years. I’m an avid DIYer and have done many tile projects (showers, tub surrounds, backsplashes, floors). I’m certainly no professional but am pleased with the results and much of my knowledge is from this group. For example, i grouted (rather than caulked) the Kerdi shower system at my old home over 10 years ago and the grout is still PERFECt…I bet caulk would have required much more maintenance). I also take John’s advice and bring a towel to dry my shower :-).
We’ve just moved to a 1987 home and due to a bad toilet leak the hall bath has become a priority. We installed a new Delta 500 classic tub which, according to install info, can accept a tile surround application. I’m struggling with how to address the unusual tub flange. I’ve contacted Delta multiple times without success. The goal is a 4x12 subway. Note in the pics and my drawing that the flange has a “rolled edge” … there’s a significant area beneath that “rolled edge” that would seem to require a sealant/treatment and water proofing before tiling. I’ve searched the web but am unable to find anything like this. I would really appreciate your advice or drawings!
Marie
Attached Images

Last edited by cx; 09-15-2022 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Add Link
Collmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-15-2022, 09:04 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Marie.

I've added a link to your tub description. If it's not correct, let us know.

Appears to me in their instructions that they intend that you would simply stop your wallboard above that lip such that the tile extends down over that gap and a flexible sealant is used between tile and tub. Rather poor approach, think I.

I can't tell from the drawings on their site just how tall those side flanges are (1 1/2" maybe?) nor how thick. In any case, the only good way I can see to waterproof the wall/tub area before tiling, would be to ensure that your wallboard thickness way adequate for the face to be flush with, or slightly proud of, that tiling flange setup. You could then use a strip of waterproofing membrane to cover that area, similar to the recommended method on tubs with a more conventional tiling flange. You'd wanna bond the membrane to the tub with silicone or a proprietary sealant, and bond the membrane to the wallboard with thinset mortar. The Schluter Kerdi website has a good description of the method with photos.

Your 4" tiles should be able to cantilever over that small gap without any problem, I would think. But I've not actually seen your tub, eh?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2022, 08:23 PM   #3
Snets
Professional Weekend Warrior

Being that the tub is purchased and installed, my first suggestion is no longer relevant. I do believe that tub was designed to be used with the coordinating fiberglass wall system, regardless of Delta's claims otherwise.

I agree with CX and that is likely what I would do. HERE is the relevant portion of the Schluter video that shows how to use Kerdi Band, Kerdi Fix and thin-set mortar to seal the tub to the wall. This method would work with cement board walls as well, in my opinion.

The part that you labeled "gap" would be full of Kerdi Fix (or other appropriate sealant) so you just need to be a bit careful when embedding the Kerdi band. I might even pre-fill it with fix and let it dry, then comb some fresh fix when you install the Kerdi band.
Snets is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2022, 12:17 PM   #4
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

This is from the instructions from the link posted above

Name:  delta bathtub.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  47.5 KB
Unread 09-19-2022, 01:12 PM   #5
cx
Moderator emeritus

Doesn't address the OP's question, though, James.

I saw that on the tub manufacturer's website, and I'm not even sure that's alleged to be ceramic tile on the walls, but indicating the use of "drywall" with no indication of any waterproofing, I don't think the drawing is useful at all if we're considering a tub/shower installation. You'd think they'd be a little more clear in their instructions, yes?

Last edited by cx; 11-26-2022 at 08:54 AM. Reason: typo
Unread 11-26-2022, 07:47 AM   #6
Collmm

My solution

Delta emailed (again) and said I needed to install the tile to the top of the flange. Horrible idea from a looks perspective not to mention the screws (where you attach the tub to the studs) would be visible in the recessed area of the flange! I got brave and made the decision to cut the top of flange off (see pics). Then notched my waterproofing board along the back so that it slipped neatly over the remaining flange. I sealed the waterproofing board to the tub flange with Kerdifix. Appreciate everyone’s suggestions and advice!
Unread 11-26-2022, 10:32 AM   #7
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Marie,

Looks like you've got it. Thanks for bragging up the forums.

P.S. I don't see any pics of your sawed off flange.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2022, 10:35 PM   #8
Collmm

Flange pics

I didn’t add the pics earlier because for some reason the iPhone pics are always turned sideways…took a few moments to crop to landscape and which works. As this is the guest bath and only used a few times per year I went with the waterproofing product available at HD. For the master bath that’s used daily I will use the Kerdi :-) New (old 1980’s) house with original baths…lots of tile jobs to go! Grout this weekend. Will be back here frequently…appreciate the community and advice!
Attached Images

Unread 12-03-2022, 09:29 AM   #9
cx
Moderator emeritus

Very nice recovery, Marie. I'd suggest you send that to Delta and maybe offer to go to work for them in their tub design department.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase