Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-21-2022, 10:05 AM   #1
ckh1980

Maipei CQ grout experiences?

Hi all.

We're preparing to install a new glass subway tile backsplash and are having a bit of trouble picking a brand for grout. We were at Floor and Decor and they were out of our first choice, Bostick Never Seal. We ended up picking up a tub of Maipei Flexcolor CQ, but the reviews online are less than stellar vs the Bostick. Does anyone have any experience with Maipei, and/or can comment on the Bostick? I'm not afraid to order online to get the better product.

Thanks!
Unread 11-21-2022, 11:00 AM   #2
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

Flexcolor CQ is a nice product as long as you follow the installation instructions. If it were me, I'd return it and pick up Laticrete's Spectralock1 at the same store. SL1 is the best of single component grouts, in my opinion.
Unread 11-21-2022, 11:12 AM   #3
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Welcome, Christopher,

I have some limited experience with CQ, and with Spectralock 1. IMO both will be fine for your application, except if the glass is frosted. No matter how hard I tried I couldn't clean either off the frosted glass I tested them on.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2022, 12:37 PM   #4
ckh1980

thank you both. The tile is just a normal glass tile with a white backer. Not frosted. I'll look into the spectralock. I've only ever grouted with regular sanded/unsanded and I would like something that is low/no maintenance and stain resistant since we are going with a white color and it'll be used on a backsplash.
Unread 11-21-2022, 06:28 PM   #5
smifwal

I used it on almost everything but learned that anything polished it take too long to clean of the "film" the next day. I have used it on glass and had good luck EXCEPT that one time I didn't!!! It scratched $h!t out of it. I did do a test but but apparently not as aggressively as when actually grouting. Fortunately I caught it after a small section, It was only visible with the under cabinet lighting that thankfully the customer left on when they went to work. My rep said that the have had problems with "low fired" glass, I haven't used it on glass since
Unread 11-22-2022, 07:00 AM   #6
Dan Marvin
Company Rep

I don't really have a horse in this race now but back when I was at MAPEI, we tested Flexcolor CQ extensively with glass tiles and it was a clear winner over everything that was out there at the time. It has a rounded aggregate that minimizes scratching. If you do get a haze, some Windex in the first 24 hours is effective at removing it.
Unread 11-22-2022, 08:14 AM   #7
Joetile123
Mapei Tech Support

Being I work for Mapei I used Flexcolor CQ on my own glass tile backsplash. The main reason for my choice of grout was the color consistancy and the stain resistance this product offers. Its been up for about 3 yrs and still looks like the day I installed it. Don't hesitate to give Mapei Tech support a call if you have any questions regarding installation & cleanup.

MAPEI Technical Services
Product Support
Joetile123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2022, 01:12 PM   #8
ckh1980

Thanks guys. I'll stick with Mapei then.

I was leaning towards the Bostick Neverseal since they actually had a sample board on display and I didn't want to rely on the sticker on the Mapei label. Is there anyway to know if a tile is low-fired? I can't post links yet, but the tile is made by "Pure" at Floor and decor.
Unread 11-22-2022, 01:22 PM   #9
ss3964spd

Regardless of the quality of the glass the only sure fired way to see if the grout will scratch it is to test it on a sample piece.
Unread 11-22-2022, 08:23 PM   #10
ckh1980

ok thanks. I'll open the tub and just spread some on a tile with a grout float?
Unread 11-23-2022, 08:07 AM   #11
ss3964spd

Me thinks you'd need to spread it like ya mean it, Christopher. IOW, as though you're actually grouting, including smooshing it into joints. You might consider taking two of you tiles, adhering them to a scrap of something flat (probably not Mrs. Christopher's favorite cutting board), letting the adhesive set, then grouting.

First though, closely inspect the face of the tile under good lighting and at various angles to search for any imperfections like existing scratches/micro scratches. Then inspect after grouting for the same.
Unread 11-23-2022, 12:49 PM   #12
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher
I'll look into the spectralock.
I know that you have decided on Flexcolor but I want to emphasize, for anyone seeing this later, that Spectralock and Spectralock1 are not the same product.

Spectralock1 is in the same category as Flexcolor. Spectralock is not. Spectralock is still a good product also but it's not the same thing as Spectralock1.

That is all.
Unread 11-28-2022, 05:22 PM   #13
redlude97

To remove the haze Mapei suggested their epoxy grout cleaner and it worked well with my install with CQ. Also prewet the tile face prior to installing the grout and work in really small sections before wiping
Unread 11-28-2022, 11:49 PM   #14
ckh1980

got her done and it turned out great with the Cq. thanks!
Attached Images

Unread 11-29-2022, 09:12 AM   #15
ss3964spd

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase