Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-20-2022, 06:39 AM   #1
vinmassaro
vm

Fears about DITRA-HEAT reliability

A few years back, I installed a floor heat mat in my second bathroom. Did all the tests prior to install, after install, then poured self leveler over top and tested again the next day. Waited a few days to tile so there was no possibility of damaging the mat. Worked great for about 6 months before the floor stopped getting warm. Thought it was an issue with the Laticrete thermostat but after troubleshooting with them, realized it is a problem with heating mat. Now I’ve got a thermostat on the wall that does nothing in that bathroom and an angry wife.

I’m renovating my master bath now and planned to install DITRA-HEAT cable on the floor and another in the shower. I am obviously fearful and paranoid about it failing after my previous experience. Has anyone has this type of floor heat fail on them before, what can be done, and specifically DITRA-HEAT? Thanks!
Unread 11-20-2022, 09:22 AM   #2
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Vincent, I don't think I've read a single thread in this forum over the years that talked about a Ditra Heat failure. Mine has been up and running for over three years, starting on its 4th, and has been rock solid; though I concede that 3 years isn't exactly a long term test.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2022, 03:30 PM   #3
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

I can't remember hearing one instance of Ditra Heat failing in the way that you are describing. Why not submit a warranty claim?
Unread 11-20-2022, 03:38 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Was not Ditra Heat that failed him, James, it was a Laticrete Heat Tech system, according to his link.

But I've not heard of a failure of that system, either.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2022, 03:44 PM   #5
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

Oh. I see. Still, heating systems don't just stop working for no reason. Or they shouldn't, at least. Seems like a warranty issue to me.
Unread 11-20-2022, 04:13 PM   #6
cx
Moderator emeritus

I agree. Says he talked with Laticrete about it. I'm surprised there was no resolution.

Unread 11-20-2022, 10:01 PM   #7
vinmassaro
vm

Just to clarify, it’s Heat Tech mat being used with a Laticrete STRATA-HEAT thermostat. Heat Tech doesn’t reply and warranty only covers the mat. I’m glad to hear no failures with DITRA-HEAT!
Unread 11-20-2022, 10:55 PM   #8
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent
I’m glad to hear no failures with DITRA-HEAT!
Yes, that's good news, but we've heard of no failures with the Laticrete system, either.

Laticrete does not stand behind the heating mat in their system?

Unread 11-20-2022, 11:20 PM   #9
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

He’s using Heat Tech for the mat, not Laticrete. Only part that’s Laticrete is the thermostat.

Heat Tech states they have a 25-year warranty, but doesn’t do any good if they ignore phone calls. I’d keep calling and emailing, if it were me. But maybe he’s given up after many attempts?

As far as any problems with DitraHeat: never heard of even a single failure after proper install such as you described.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2022, 10:07 AM   #10
vinmassaro
vm

Quote:
Heat Tech states they have a 25-year warranty
Unfortunately the link on their home page goes nowhere, and the 25 year warranty page in their installation manual states they only warranty the mat and it does not cover finished flooring and any cost to remove or replace it. Not about to rip up thousands in marble tile so I'm SOL on that one.
Unread 11-21-2022, 03:50 PM   #11
cx
Moderator emeritus

Is perhaps why I pay so very little attention to advertised warranties. I can just imagine myself showing up at my customer's house with a roll of floor heating cable and saying, "Look! The manufacturer has given you, free of additional charge, a replacement for your failed under-tile floor heating system. I'll just leave it here in the foyer for you."

Yep, probably how I got so much repeat business over the years.

Unread 11-21-2022, 04:19 PM   #12
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Schluter used to require the use of a megometer to verify that the insulation was not compromised on their wiring. You compared your readings to the factory value three times:
- before installing
- after installing in the mat
- after the tile is on

All three values should be essentially the same. If that's true, the only other thing is a possible temperature sensor and one comes with the wire, and a second one comes with the thermostat, and you hook up one, but install both in case a temperature sensor fails sometime down the line.

If the insulation is intact at the end of the installation, the only moving parts are the thermostat and the temperature sensor.

The megometer can detect imperfections or damage to the insulation, other wise, a heating wire is pretty reliable if the insulation can keep crud from getting in and corroding things.

A megometer isn't something the average guy owns, but if they install a lot of in-floor electrical heating, it probably should be in their tool bag, and know how to use it.

FWIW, I haven't checked recently, but they originally required a megometer that produced 1000v, and the test looks to see if any leaks out. When I was a tech in the Army, we used them to check power and data cables to our radars and launchers to verify they were still good to use.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.

Last edited by jadnashua; 11-21-2022 at 10:02 PM.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2022, 07:13 AM   #13
Dan Marvin
Company Rep

DITRA-HEAT is one of our biggest sellers and we are usually able to troubleshoot any issues that arise. We have dedicated technical people who can either walk you through it or, when necessary in rare cases, come to the installation site to do the troubleshooting. Our Installation Guide contains all the steps you will need for a successful installation. We also have a 10 year warranty that does include installation which is fairly unique in the industry. Schluter has a much-deserved reputation for standing behind our products so you should be able to get out of the dog-house with your wife. Thanks for considering us!
Unread 11-28-2022, 05:26 PM   #14
redlude97

The only part I was worried about when doing my install was damaging the wire with the trowel when installing, and a rep suggested I could prefill the waffle the day before, giving myself more working time(newb) and less worry when installing, something to consider if you're concerned.
Unread 11-28-2022, 05:46 PM   #15
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Verification that the wire is undamaged is the reason they recommend the use of a megohmmeter...its sole purpose is to verify the wire and its insulation is intact. Checking it along the way can tell you things are intact before you progress to a point where it would be much more of a pain to finish, and then try to recover.

A simple ohmmeter can only tell you if the electrical wire is intact, not that the insulation is as well. Damaged insulation can allow corrosion to occur.
http://www.cusatraining.com/sitebuil...nails%2Cspaced

Using one with the recommended capabilities applies 1000v to the wiring to check if any leaks out.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase