Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-02-2022, 10:47 AM   #46
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Since I mentioned the slots for the niche center shelf, I forgot to add that I used nickels, 3 on each side, in the slots to support the center shelf. They were a bit too large in diameter so I cut them down a little (now worth only 3 cents each). Although a pretty snug fit they would still move out of position when sliding the shelf in so used some left over Laticrete adhesive/sealant in the slots, let that dry then slid the shelf in. The hours I spent measuring, staring, making jigs, cutting, and installing were worth it.

I lobbied, hard, to add 3 little knob thingies (technical term) from which to hang other thingies. They are really nice, and easy to install if done on a grout line. A bit pricy though.
Attached Images

ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2022, 11:39 AM   #47
ss3964spd

Grouting

As previously mentioned, after some trial and effort, I ended up using Mapei UltraColor Plus FA for the 4"X8" marble floor tile.

The white, glazed, ceramic wall tile absorbs water like a sponge so in an attempt to keep most of the water out of the walls I really wanted to use a water proof grout. For alla wall tile my first thought was Spectralock Pro Premium epoxy, which I've used before and really, really like. But the grout color for the white wall tile had to also be white, and I recall reading stories here that white SPP can sometimes yellow with age and I sure didn't want that to happen.

So I decided to give Spectralock 1, one of the newer single component grouts, a try. I bought two tubs, one in bright white, another in a light gray, called Silver Shadow for the glass - because white was too contrasty with the glass.

I decided to test the SL1 on the glass using a test board, because when I previously tested Mapei Flexcolor CQ, also a single component grout, it left a haze on the frosted glass that I just could not remove. Disappointingly, SL1 did the same thing.

SL1 did great on the glazed wall tile though. Very nice to work with and clean up was fuss free. What little haze remained was easily delt with using a microfiber towel and some vigorous buffing. I expect Flexcolor CQ would have been just as easy. Fingers crossed that it doesn't yellow.

I still wanted a water proof grout for the glass, especially since the joint widths where the glass abuts the wall tile varies from 1/8th to 3/8ths due to the shape of the glass. I ordered a mini unit of Spectralock Pro Premium, this time in Steamship, as the Silver Silver Shadow was still too contrasty. SPP is good for grout joints up to 1/2".

The install of that glass mosaic was a giant pain. Probably to no one's surprise the gaps between many pieces were all over the place. I used red, hard plastic wedge spacers to try to get the glass to comply. Mostly successful, some gaps were still tighter than I wanted, and at one point I had over 400 of those wedges in there. Should have gotten a photo of that!

Tested the SPP first on a test board and had no problems cleaning it off of the frosted glass, so used the rest of that unit on the section of glass on the front of the tub before it hardened. Had order two more mini's. And because many of the joints are even less than 1/16th I left out 10% of the SPP part C.

The edges of the glass are rounded, and each tip droops off a little, which made grout clean up a lengthy process. I used one of those white nylon mesh sponges, and had to dress each tip individually to preserve the points.
Attached Images

Unread 11-07-2022, 11:47 AM   #48
ss3964spd

The joints at the tub and down the leg were right around 1/8", so I used backer rod in those. And by backer rod I mean screen door spline. Worked pretty well. Rest of the changes in plane were about 1/16th so wasn't going to get anything in those. Carefully taped ALL the joints as shown in the previous photos, and used 100% white silicone caulk. Turned out pretty nice but it's still approximately zero fun caulking with silicone, though Windex did make it somewhat easier.

The wall outlet for the rod mounted handheld hose is purposely high so the bottom loop wouldn't dangle in front of the shower valve when the handled was positioned at its highest point, or even a little lower than that. The wall outlet is from Grohe and is very forgiving of nipple length, but because of that it protrudes from the wall quite a bit. I'm good with that. The handheld is also Grohe, and is the only brand I could find that offers separate clamps, one for height, and another for angle. The outlet and handheld are the same I used in my master bath remodel.

To contain costs I was hoping, really hoping, I could get by with a single, hinged glass panel 30" wide X 60" tall; a standard size I could order and install myself. Wasn't at all sure it would actually work to contain all the water though, so made a test panel; cardboard, covered on the shower side with that self-adhering plastic carpet protector stuff. The panel would work great!

IF no one actually took a shower in there, like I did. Way too much water escaping. Maybe if anyone taking a shower did so very carefully, but exactly no one will be, or wants be, that mindful. Glass doors to be installed in two days.
Attached Images

Unread 11-07-2022, 11:56 AM   #49
cx
Moderator emeritus

Nice door, Dan. Really classy. Good privacy.

I worry a little about the screen spline as backer rod. Some of that stuff is very dense and has very little compression compared to a flexible sealant. You found some that was particularly soft, perhaps?

Tile work nicely done.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2022, 01:32 PM   #50
ss3964spd

Not sure I'd call the spline I used particularly soft, but it isn't as dense as I sometimes am, either. It is hollow, with probably a dozen raised ribs along its length. I think there'd have to be an awful lot of differential movement between the tub and wall tile to cause an issue.

Come on, I thought that test panel bordered on genius! Cost exactly zero dollars to fabricate.
Unread 11-11-2022, 03:18 PM   #51
ss3964spd

Fork/Done

Glass company installed the shower doors 2 days ago, and I spent the morning wrapping thing up; installing the refinished entry door using all new hardware, a robe hook/door stop, towel ring. It has officially been turned over to the primary user - which ain't me.
Attached Images

Unread 11-11-2022, 04:09 PM   #52
cx
Moderator emeritus

And I'll wager she's a very happy user, indeed.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2022, 08:23 PM   #53
RifRaf

Very impressive... looks great!
P.S.... Nice photos!
Unread 11-11-2022, 11:35 PM   #54
Snets
Professional Weekend Warrior

Excellent work, Dan. That turned out beautiful.
Snets is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2022, 11:17 AM   #55
ss3964spd

Thanks, pretty pleased with how it turned out.

I am going to have to come up with a different solution for the glass door sweeps. They installed the doors with a massive 1/2" gap at the bottom (I was working from home so couldn't watch them like a hawk). The rigid sweeps have a deep U channel, and then fins below that, plus an angled leg. If the sweeps are installed so the glass bottoms out in the U the fins are then too short. If you slide the sweeps down so the fins seal on the tub then the resulting void in the U channel fills with water which, in fairly short order, will turn to mold. No bueno.

Doesn't look like any of the manufacturers of such sweeps offer one for a 1/2" gap, but I found a vinyl T shaped sweep that does, and is adhered to the edge of the glass with a special tape. We'll see how that works.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase