Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 03-11-2012, 02:23 PM   #1
daletx

Saltillo tile outdoor restoration--sealant rec.

Hello all,
Can someone help recommend where to start researching sealants. I have spent some time on this forum but am still looking for advice. I will probably install myself -- experienced DIY.

Saltillo -- Originally installed without sealant (The original owner left numerous left over tiles in garage) and all are unsealed

Environment -- Outdoor. South Texas coast -- salt water spray on back yard tile. Near pool --not pool decked but near. Lots of sun. Rare freezes.

Condition- old sealant 90% gone.. Believe original to be solvent based due to light color enhancement. Some damage in area not as well protected by patio.

Looking for -- longevity, Don't want slippery when wet or at least minimized (near pool),

Size --~1100 sq ft.

What brands should I look at and solvent based or water based?
Attached Images

Unread 03-12-2012, 05:41 AM   #2
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

As you can see topical sealers and saltillo exterior don't mix.I would strip it off,use an enhancing impregnating sealer to help bring out color and seal against moisture.
I've used 511.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2012, 01:00 PM   #3
Miracle Sealants Tech

Hi Dale-

You stated that the initial sealer is 90% worn away, did that sealer put any gloss onto the saltillo? In any case you do want to take the time to strip off any remaining sealant that is on there.

Once you have it completely stripped down you should be open to use whatever type of sealant you like. However, you can see some deterioration on the saltillo tiles that are closest to the pool deck. At least it looks that way from the photo. Which is typical for a saltillo tile. Especially around a water area. I would suggest using just a penetrating sealant (solvent based) to seal that material.

511 Porous Plus is what I would recommend. It is a natural look penetrating sealer designed for the most porous stone.

Thank You-

Robb

"Serving the Tile, Stone and Masonry Industries for 25 Years"

www.miraclesealants.com
Miracle Sealants Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2012, 10:46 PM   #4
doitright
Retired Tile & Stone Contractor

Hi Dale, Welcome!

In addition to what has been suggested, I've had great success with products from STT (Surface Treatment Technologies). They have an Elements line that is specifically formulated for exterior use on porous materials. It is also available in an enhancing version. They are both solvent based products.

Feel free to PM me if you would like additional information.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2012, 09:10 PM   #5
daletx

sealant quality

Thanks for the advice

How can you determine the quality of the various sealants out on the market. I understand that we are looking for higher solids content, but is there any publication of that data or some sort of ASTM standard or other standard to compare one companies sealant to another.

thanks,dale
Unread 03-20-2012, 10:22 PM   #6
doitright
Retired Tile & Stone Contractor

Hi Dale

You're correct that not all sealers are created equal.

Many manufacturers will list that they have a "Proprietary blend" in the MSDS sheets.

I can tell you which sealers with STT have the highest solids content, but not what the exact content is.

Most of the STT products have more solids and unique carriers that give them an edge over the competitors products. However, you will pay more for that benefit.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase