Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-01-2011, 07:42 AM   #1
HAPPYGRANDPARENT

Bathroom shoe mold - tile walls, vinyl over tile floors

I have an old house that in the bathroom they have tiled floors & 1/2 way up the wall. I had vinyl put down over the floors (looks great - had lots of prep work so would stay as they're not floating floors). So I have a vinyl floor over tile, tile 1/2 way up the wall & I used Venetian Plaster for the walls (looks terrific).

My problem is that I want a thin shoe mold going all around (I know, it has to be glued) even though in most places it's a perfect cut. Contractor suggested just using some type of caulking instead of a shoe mold. But all through my house I have baseboards & shoe molds - so want to keep the same look. But using wood does not sound good to me as the bathrooms get damp/wet all the time. Am unable to find any precolored vinyl/plastic shoe molding & wondered if anyone has any suggestions to stay away from wood? One bathroom will be easy to match a color (gray), the other one will be hard as it's a combination of, I guess, mauve, pink, salmon, etc., tile going 1/2 way up the wall is off white.

Would appreciate any suggestions as I'm open to ideas but it must be done within a week as my Mom's coming to stay a month with me...and you know what they say, your house must look perfect for your "MOM".
Unread 05-01-2011, 11:16 AM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Happy. Please change that permanent signature line to a first name for us to use.

Don't know if they have an actual shoe mould, but you might look into something like AZEK if you don't wanna use wood trim in there.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2011, 11:26 AM   #3
Pirate

If I understand correctly, it sounds like you want to put wood baseboards and or shoe mouldings against tile. I think that would look odd. To me it only goes on a plaster or drywall wall. Maybe you could post a picture?
Unread 05-01-2011, 12:33 PM   #4
HAPPYGRANDPARENT

Name:  MAIN BATH - CROOKED CUT 2.jpg
Views: 3140
Size:  10.1 KB Crooked cut

Name:  MAIN BATH - CROOKED MEET-WALL & FLOOR.jpg
Views: 3159
Size:  11.4 KB Another view of crooked cut

Name:  MAIN BATH - FULL VIEW.jpg
Views: 3127
Size:  11.8 KB General view of bathroom

Name:  MAIN BATH - VENETIAN WALLS.jpg
Views: 3169
Size:  8.5 KB top 1/2 of wall done in Venetian Plaster - love it!(bottom 1/2 is off white tile). The tile floor underneath vinyl just put down is a slightly different off white tile that has little black diamonds in the corners - so old fashion! By the way, I had my shower doors mirrored so the room looks a little bigger than it is.

Pictures taken with my cell & aren't to great, but hope you get the idea. The floor & top 1/2 of wall is done in gray.

The cut of the flooring is crooked - so not having a shoe mold is out of the question (the other bathroom was a better cut but still doesn't look right to me without a shoe mold). Besides I like shoe molds - but want a very small one (maybe 1/2"-3/4" tall) - in a vinyl or plastic that hopefully can be stained, as I feel if painted it won't be long before it has to be repainted because of the moisture, etc.

Hope this helps all of you to help me.

Last edited by HAPPYGRANDPARENT; 05-01-2011 at 12:42 PM.
HAPPYGRANDPARENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2011, 12:34 PM   #5
HAPPYGRANDPARENT

Aztec

I checked, they don't have shoe molds. Thanks anyway.
Unread 05-01-2011, 12:45 PM   #6
Pirate

How about some quarter round ceramic tile mouldings? Like this: http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ocStoreNum=674
Unread 05-01-2011, 02:05 PM   #7
HAPPYGRANDPARENT

At least you led me in the correct direction. What you sent I don't think so but will look personally.

But Home Depot has:
1) Timbron 1 ft. x 3/4 in. x 1/2 in. Plastic Baseshoe Moulding Model # TM127 Store SKU # 264520;
2) 12 ft. x 3/4 in. x 5/16 in. Vinyl Shoe Moulding Model # 0204612003 Store SKU # 745532 (this one has life time no rot warranty); &
3) 8 ft. x 11/16 in. x 11/32 in. Vinyl Pre-Finished Shoe Moulding Model # 0510908055 Store SKU # 222982.

Is one better than the other plastic vs vinyl vs vinyl pre-finished? I'm sorry but I don't know how to attach a link that you can click on & go right to it in this forum.

Thank you, now I have 3 to choose from that are specifically shoe molding, all are paintable or stainable (will stain as I feel color will last longer than paint in a moist area, would I be correct in this assumption [staining rather than painting?]).
Unread 05-01-2011, 05:37 PM   #8
Pirate

How do you stain plastic or vinyl? You don't.

Painted wood is fine in a bathroom, unless it actually gets wet. It's the wood that doesn't like the water, not so much the paint or stain. Like I said above, I think it would look funky next to the ceramic tile. That's why I think the ceramic quarter rounds would be best. Maybe you're not comfortable setting ceramic tile. I haven't seen the plastic or vinyl ones, so I don't know about them.
Unread 05-01-2011, 07:49 PM   #9
HAPPYGRANDPARENT

Suggestion you made

Thank you

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase