Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-05-2011, 08:40 AM   #1
NY5600

Carrera Marble in the shower

I had carrera marble installed on the floor and walls of my shower. After one month of use the wall tiles that touched the floor tiles started to stain and draw water up into the wall tile and the floor also started to darken due to water.

I had the tile installer return and he felt I had used the wrong sealer and also at that time we removed silicone caulk he placed in the grout joint between the wall and the floor - thinking it maybe holding water in the wall.

I waited over 2 months to use the shower, I put a heater/fan in the shower
to dry it out. After two months I again sealed it with a sealer from a company that deals solely with natural stone. After two days the water mark again started to appear on the shower walls and the floor did darken a bit.

The installer feels he correctly installed the pan and the mud - the slope of the floor is very gradual and where the tile meets the wall it is flat. I have had several installers look at this - one felt it is the nature of the tile to absorb and the other believed the slope of the floor was not enough to wick the water away. Yet another believed the shelf installed near the base of the tile may be causing this problem?

What to do - everyone is afraid to take the tile off the wall claiming carrera is a beast - it just crumbles. What to do? We have a beautiful

Thanks, Marie
Unread 02-05-2011, 10:11 AM   #2
bbcamp

Carrera does absorb water, but your shower sounds like there was no sloped mud bed installed under the liner and possibly the weepholes in the drain fitting are clogged.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2011, 10:13 AM   #3
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Carrera marble is not the densest of all marbles. You might get away with it on the walls, but I would have recommended something else for the floor. It will tend to wick water. Multiple coats of sealer might help...it's in and all you can do is try it. The alternative is replacement if that doesn't work.

Yes, it's possible that there is inadequate slope. 1/4" inch per linear foot is the MINIMUM. I like to see the water rush to the drain....
Unread 02-05-2011, 10:29 AM   #4
ronbo1100

Hmm. Did you see the install in progress? The flat spot indicates to me he may have left the screed boards in place or removed them then neglected to pitch that area. As long as he did none of the above then a few more coats of sealer. Three total for me is a must spaced a bit longer than suggested on bottle.
Unread 02-09-2011, 01:04 AM   #5
tile911

Marie,

Carrara marble or any good quality stone is a great option for a shower installation as long as it is properly installed. It sounds to me that the backer-board could be touching the pan wicking water. Just another option to look into.

Martin

Last edited by tile911; 02-09-2011 at 01:13 AM.
tile911 is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase