Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 05-21-2010, 07:46 PM   #1
GreenFlute

Best sealer and grout for CLEAN travertine?

I am planning on putting 4 x 4 travertine tiles and a travertine basket weave mosaic on my powder room floor (see photo below of a neighbour's floor that I'll be copying - ignore cardboard at botom of pic). This room sees alot of traffic so I'd like the tiles and the pale grout to be as easy to wash as possible. We have already put two coats of "Fila MP90 Stain Protection for Natural Stones" on the tiles (an impregnating sealer).
I have 3 questions:
1) Has anyone used Fila MP90? Will it do the job in terms of keeping tile and grout stain-free??
2) Should I put a topcoat sealer on the tiles and the grout once we've installed them or another coat of the Fila mP90? I really want washability.
3) Would using Spectralock grout be a good option for this type of tile (will it be hard to use with the basket weave tiles)? Is it really easier to keep clean than regular grout?
Thanks,
Debbie

Name:  Smaller version.jpg
Views: 3040
Size:  30.9 KB
Unread 05-21-2010, 08:08 PM   #2
tileman2000
New England Tile Man

Hi Debbie,

Never tried Fila MP90 myself,but maybe someone will be along to help with that sealer.Spectralock would be your best option,but not easier the regular grout.It doesn't need to be sealed though so you could eliminate a step.
Unread 05-21-2010, 10:18 PM   #3
Stone Dude

Any of the SUrface Treatment Technologies sealers would work very well for this. you can contact myself or John Koessler for more info. Extremely effective, cost effective and very easy to apply and remove the excess

MilleStone Marble and Tile Inc.
MillestoneMarble.com
Stone Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2010, 11:36 AM   #4
doitright
Retired Tile & Stone Contractor

Hi Debbie, Welcome!

As Michael, I've never used Fila products. I'm sure they're quality products, but have never been popular in my area. In fact they've been pulled from the shelves at one of my tile distributors due to inadequate support from the manufacturer.

Ditto what Cameron said about the STT Product Line. I do carry their products in smaller quantities than shown on the manufacturers website.

Personally, I'd rather stick with cement based grouts in your application. With proper sealing and maintenance, you'll be very happy with the end results.

You will need to consider maintenance products as well as sealers to maintain a pristine installation.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2010, 07:42 PM   #5
GreenFlute

Hi John,
Thanks for your reply - why would you stick with cement for this project?
Debbie
Unread 05-22-2010, 10:06 PM   #6
doitright

Hi Debbie

From what I can tell the basket weave has some very tight grout joints. If that is the case, unsanded cement grout performs very well. Most epoxies use colored sand and Part's A & B liquids (resin & hardener). Some epoxies are resin/hardener only with limited color selections.

While epoxy grouts don't stain, they will soil. They will still require maintenance, just as a cement grout will.

With the cement grouts & sealers that are available today, I only use epoxy in special situations, or when a client demands it.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

Unread 05-23-2010, 07:09 PM   #7
GreenFlute

Hi John,
Thanks for the reply. I've already put a coat of the Fila MP90 impregnating sealer. Can I put the STT sealer over this? Or will I have problems with pealing etc..?
Thanks.
Unread 05-23-2010, 10:36 PM   #8
doitright

Hi Debbie

I haven't found a sealer that the STT SB won't penetrate. With impregnating sealers, there's no issues of peeling.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase