Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-05-2009, 09:08 PM   #1
RW

Bathroom Tile

Thank you first:
Hello, I wanted to first say that with the help of this forum, I've tiled my kitchen and small bathroom floors, properly supported with ditra as underlayment, tiled a countertop with oak and marble tiles in a mosaic pattern and have now tiled the walls over both shower and tub tearing out old greenboard and puting in hardibacker and new tile. All without breaks or cracks for the last couple of years now.

Background:
All that said, I did both small bathrooms tearing up some 1980's tile which was set in a type of netting. The tiles are each like 2x4 inches. They were set over hardibacker type material which is over plywood over the crawlspace. None of the tile or grout is showing cracks or breaks in the kids bathroom I'm now planning.

Question:
In the kids larger bathroom, approximately 10 feet long by 5 feet wide I'd like to know if instead of tearing up the tile (nasty job in the other bathroom and lots of work) I could put tile over tile? If so, do I need to do anything to the original tile? Do I just put thinset over it?

Finally:
I've tried a search for this but most questions talked about tile over tile on plain plywood and I've got a good underlayment with no issues. I just want to update the tile, but don't want to tear the old stuff out which damaged the concrete board underneath in the other bathroom. I ended up having to cut all that out and put down new hardibacker in patches. What a pain.

Thank you!

Ralf
RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-05-2009, 09:19 PM   #2
Kman

Tile over tile can be done. Can it work? Yes. Will it work? Hard to say. The only thing I don't like about it is that your are basing your new installation on someone else's work from years ago. It's really just a gamble on whether or not it will hold up over time.

Another issue is the height of the floor after it's completed. Can you stand another 1/2-3/4" of height to your floor?

If you do go that route, scuff the existing floor thoroughly with sandpaper and use a good quality modified thinset. Skim the floor ahead of time or as you go to bring the grout joints up to the level of the tile surface and to burn the thinset into the tile as much as is possible.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2009, 06:09 AM   #3
RW

Thank you. Might thought was that if the application has lasted this long, it is probably good.

The problems to tile over tile are the height issue as mentioned and I can stand it in most places but don't know what to do about the marble threshold. There, the tile will sit proud.

So, if I remove the tile, what is the fastest way to do that without tearing up the concreteboard underlayment? I've tried hammering and chiseling it out. Is there a way to SAW it out?
Unread 08-06-2009, 06:31 AM   #4
bathroomremodeler

If the old tile is on a wood sub-floor, you also will need to be concerned about the weight (deflection), which will be increased.
Inspector and IAQ Inspector
www.deanlovvorn.com
bathroomremodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2009, 08:31 AM   #5
RW

Uggh! I hadn't thought of the additional weight and yes, it is over a subfloor!!

So, I won't be able to get out the easy way by tiling over, meaning I have to remove all that old stuff! What is the most efficient way then????
Unread 08-06-2009, 05:17 PM   #6
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Retired Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf
None of the tile or grout is showing cracks or breaks in the kids bathroom I'm now planning.
You may be able to go over it. Plug your floor framing info into the 'Deflecto' and tell us what you get. It'll be a lot easier than the alternative.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase