Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 09-27-2006, 10:04 PM   #1
dnap

Send a message via AIM to dnap
TileLab Gloss Sealer Chipping on slate?

I tiled my kitchen and entry with slate this summer. I presealed prior to grouting with two coats of tilelab grout and tile sealer, then put down 3 coats of tilelab gloss sealer after the grout had cured. Also prior to sealing I washed the floor with water until I could get through the whole thing with a clean wash bucket.
It has been down about two months now and a few tiles seem to be shedding the sealer, almost as if it is chipping off. Is there a tougher sealer that i can put down over the exsisting sealer or do i need to strip it down and start over? I don't mind a little maintanace, but I hate to think that i will need to reseal my floor every 2 months!

Also, thanks to everyone involved with this forum. The wealth of knowledge on this one site made the job (my first) MUCH easier.
dnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-28-2006, 04:34 AM   #2
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

Sounds like you may have over sealed.I'd say stripping of the gloss sealer is in order.Keep in mind topical sealers are doomed to failure,and smother stone,and really shouldn't be used on most stones.Stick with the impregnating sealers,or enhancers, to achieve a wet look.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2006, 10:03 PM   #3
dnap

Send a message via AIM to dnap
thanks, any recommendations on what to use to strip it. Maybe stick with tile lab for this step and then use something else for sealing? What impregnating sealers would you recommend? I like the current gloss finish. It gives the floor a "finished" look and makes spills a snap to clean, a must with two one year olds doing their best to make a mess of it!
dnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase