Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-27-2002, 04:27 AM   #1
billtvt

I have an existing Saltillo tile floor about 13 years old. This floor was originally sealed with Duraseal 500, penetrating oil based sealer, and topcoated with Trewax "Indian Sand" paste wax, which gives it an awesome look. We are now doing an add-on where new flooring will be butting up against the old, as well as a whole new area of flooring separate from the original installation.

I have sealed all the new tile that is butting up to the old, and it blends together surprisingly well. I will probably stick with the wax system, as the floor will get much less abuse than it did previously when we had our main entrance coming into this area.

Now for the new area, we want to do something to the floor to make it hold up better to the abuse it will take from being in our new entrance, which I think means getting away from the wax. Since we live in Vermont, there will be snowy boots, mud, gravel etc coming in, so I need something a bit more durable than the wax coating, which always looked dingy at the old entrance area. I have looked at and considered the pre-sealed tiles, which are done in Mexico in an epoxy finish when the tiles are made. My hesitation for going that way is that many of the tiles have the epoxy all over the edges, and I think that would be a grout release issue. So I've looked around for my own epoxy coating and I have found a 2 part system from Benjamin Moore:

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/wrapper...id=131#article

that I'd like to use on the new tiles as the topcoat. Has anyone in the forum used this type of topcoating system?

From what I can tell, this epoxy coating seems to be extremely tolerant of any type of abuse and accepting of even difficult surface conditions when applying. It would seem to me to be the perfect choice that should also be easy to maintain.

I do have one other thought that I think I will try on several sample tiles to see how it works. The Duraseal really adds a great depth to the color that I'm not sure the epoxy will do. The Duraseal also soaks deep into the tile, in fact it takes about 3 coats to saturate to the top. My thought was to do one coat, which would leave something to grab onto, then topcoat with the epoxy. I understand the two may conflict, but I would tend to doubt it will be an issue. According to Benjamin Moore, the epoxy can be applied even in difficult, (damp, previously coated etc) situations and I think if it has enough to grab onto, I should be fine. Again, I do plan to thoroughly test it out and see how the test tiles hold up to some abuse afterwards.

Just looking before doing! Appreciate any thoughts.
billtvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-27-2002, 04:30 AM   #2
billtvt

additional info on epoxy . . .

This provides some better info on the product I'm referring to:

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/tds/103...M36-00M37A.pdf
Unread 09-27-2002, 05:57 AM   #3
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Bill,

Perhaps I've missed something, but why not stick with products that have been developed for Saltillo specifically?

I don't see that the epoxy will out-perform a good acrylic top coat when dealing with Saltillo tiles. Aquamix makes a suite of products for Saltillo and terracotta tiles.

http://www.aquamix.com

You mention having to apply 3 coats of top finish. To me this indicates that the tiles were not completely sealed with penetrating sealer prior to the application of top finish. In essence you're using your top finish as a penetrating sealer. This can become pricey.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2002, 07:15 AM   #4
billtvt

I've sampled the Aquamix, trouble with it is that it doesn't seem to enhance or darken the tile at all. I'm sure the Aquamix is a good product, but to me the epoxy would seem to be a more durable finish. Again, when you buy the (raw)tiles they either come unfinished or finished. The finished ones are done in epoxy. (I'm not talking about the glazed, fired tiles, those are obviously different)

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase