Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 07-24-2005, 09:02 PM   #1
fixit

Laser lines

Hi, I've been looking at several of the laser squares and also some lasers that do lines on walls. I was wondering if any of you have tried them or might be thinking about it. I would really be interested to know if they would help with layout. Thanks, Terry
fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-24-2005, 09:35 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

At least one thread out there on the subject, Terry. Search a little and I bet you find a lot more. It's been kicked around a bit.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2005, 06:13 AM   #3
fixit

Smile

Thanks CX, I should have searched a little harder. I really think this is a great forum and even if as you say "My opinion; worth price charged." were true the humor is priceless. There are plenty of projects out there that might have been doomed to failer if it hadn't been for some of that good ole free advise they got from this forum. Many thanks are due to the people who take time to help others. Thanks again, Terry
Unread 07-27-2005, 12:16 PM   #4
Arn
Oregon Tile Guy

Fixit:

I have a laser square I use on floors sometimes. They are nice and handy but I still layout the old fashioned way (pencil, chalk lines and 3/4/5. A mm. of here can project to a lot at the other end of the house. I mostly use it to shoot off into adjacent rooms and to check my layout and cut sizes.

Best of luck!

~Mind over Mortar
Arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2005, 02:21 PM   #5
JWhitt

Yep

A couple weeks ago, I met a Hungarian Tile setter named "Chubba". He showed me and my partner this laser here
http://www.contractor-books.com/CB/L...M_Gizmo_Lt.htm.

Now, I don't want to break any rules here by saying this is the best thing since sliced bread and pockets on jeans. But I know where my next check is going.. Chuck this sucker down in a room and it beams your line across the floor and ceiling vertically then another around everywall in the room horizontaly. If either of the lines it projects is not level, then it will blink. If it's level, true and pimp. Then it will remain solid. You can also lock either line, then adjust the other as need be.
JWhitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2005, 11:23 PM   #6
fixit

Smile

If Christmas was closer I know what I'd be asking Santa for but I don't know if I can wait that long.
Unread 07-29-2005, 06:31 AM   #7
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

Leveling accuracy: 5/32" at 30' (4mm at 9m); horizontal & vertical line accuracy (end to end): ±3/32" at 10' (±2mm at 3m)

Thats 1/2" off at 100' for leveling accuracy and a full inch in 100' for horizontal and vertical line accuracy.

Unnaceptable for commercial jobs. probobly accurate enough for most residential work.
Unread 07-31-2005, 07:53 AM   #8
JWhitt

yep

Good eye todd.
JWhitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2005, 08:14 AM   #9
Airborne
Tile Setter

Just a thought,

I borrowed a Hilti high-speed/Low drag, velcro fastened/teflon coated laser from a buddy of mine to try out. By the time (admittedly this was my first attempt) I got the thing set up, leveled, and used it to carry level around the room, I could have done it with my Stabila. I can see how it would be very useful for complex layouts for which there is no good control surface to reference, but for the multi-big bill price I decided to stick with the traditional chaulk line/level/3-4-5 triangle method.

I did end up putting down $15 for one of those cheapie lasers that throws a line across the floor. It can be really handy in running down a residential hallway and such. I think mine is StraitLine brand or something. It's got all sorts of bubbles and stuff on it that are useless, but the line is straight!
Unread 07-31-2005, 08:52 AM   #10
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi Terry, I've got the Spectra LG2. There is a picher of it on the link cx posted. It comes in handy when squaring up your lines. I just did a job that was L shaped, the area to be tiled went about 40 ft each way, it was handy because there wasn't much room to do a 6-8-10, could have only done a 3-4-5.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2005, 06:40 PM   #11
Callmebill

PLS2 PLS2 PLS2 PLS2 PLS2 PLS2 PLS2 PLS2 PLS2 PLS2 PLS2 PLS2 PLS2

self leveling masgterpiece with a fantastic bright laser, I have even used it outside to shoot grade for a garage. Horizontal and vertical lines.

and a laser stand that you can slide from floor to ceiling.

Don't leave home without it. Find em on ebay or wherever.

You will save yourseslf a lof of time and hassle.

Also have a Stabilia laser distance measure - both are worth it's weight in platinum.

It's quicker to do it right the first time than do it over.
Callmebill is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase