Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-04-2021, 02:34 PM   #1
jgunson2

Can Kerdi-Line be installed farther than 2 in from wall?

Can the Kerdi-Line drain be installed farther than 2 in OC from wall? I have a joist that's in the way, would like to install the linear drain roughly 3-4 inches OC from the finished wall.
Unread 04-04-2021, 03:35 PM   #2
jondon
Hershey Pennsylvania Tile Contractor

Send a message via AIM to jondon
Hi John

When you say OC, you mean out from the wall or 2" more from the wall just trying to understand it. If you put it out more than the spec calls for it just means you will have tile between the wall and the drain which can be done but not desirable. When I have installed a line drain I have it positioned close to the wall so the wall tile comes down over the body so there is no tile there its clean looking.

Is this what you mean?

Jon Donmoyer

JD Tile

CTEF Certified Installer #825

Custom Tile Installation in Hershey & surrounding areas

Serving Dauphin, Lebanon, Berks, Chester, & Montgomery Counties PA
jondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2021, 03:45 PM   #3
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

It makes shaping the pan a bit harder, as then, you'd want that short section of tile against the wall to slope back towards the drain. Take that to an extreme, some people put it in the middle, and have a slope on either side going back to the walls, so, yes, it will work. The bottom row of the tile will be a bit tougher to cut as the result of the compound angle, too. Over a 3" span, though, at 1/4" per foot, that's only 1/16", and you probably wouldn't notice unless you're OCD.

Some people install the wall tile, then run the floor tile, which also can help hide those bottom cuts when they're tapered because of a linear drain (one reason why it's easier to center your drain and make a parallel outer ridge - all of the bottom edges will be horizontal and the same size).
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2021, 04:02 PM   #4
jondon

Jim has a good point, I personally would put the drain in the center vs 2" from the wall. Aesthetically in the middle would be much more pleasing on the eyes than 2" from the wall. Now to speak of functionality you will be standing on it with it being in the center which you may or may not like. Decisions decisions

Jon Donmoyer

JD Tile

Unread 04-04-2021, 06:15 PM   #5
jgunson2

More detail ...

Thanks for the replies - according to Schluter, referring to the linear drain, "It is installed directly against the wall, so that the channel body support is in contact with the wall. The drain outlet is approximately 2 1/8" o.c. from the edge of the wall board."

I'm hoping to use the Kerdi-Shower-LTS which, from what I can tell, is designed to push up against the wall (with the drain assembly "notched" into the end of it).

What I'd like to do is put 2-3 inches between the end of the Kerdi-Shower-LTS and the wall, and use dry packed mortar and kerdi membrane to cover the extra space between the channel body and the wall. It seems the other alternative is to build out the wall to bring the wall overtop of the joist, allowing for the traditional installation of the Kerdi-Line against the wall.

Make sense?
Unread 04-04-2021, 07:48 PM   #6
jondon

Yes the channel body gets installed up against the cement board, wall tile comes down and sits atop the channel body the cleanest look you can have. Building the wall out is an option if you can give up the room. Filling in with mud from the wall the channel body will work too, but it's gonna looks like crap with the drain sitting there close to the wall but not close enough. If you are more concerned about it functioning vs how it looks you'll be okay as long as you have that little area sloped back to drain. Personally if you can afford the room I would build the wall out. I guarantee you would prefer the clean look of it against the wall that's the only way I have ever done it. Let me find a pic.

Jon Donmoyer

JD Tile

Unread 04-04-2021, 08:37 PM   #7
jondon

Here is one I did back in August, Kerdi line closed grate. I get them as wide to the finished walls as possible, then I fill in with stainless vs tile if need be. This is the clean look you want.

This is an overhead view looking down into the shower over the knee wall in case your not sure.
Attached Images

Jon Donmoyer

JD Tile

Unread 04-05-2021, 01:51 PM   #8
jadnashua

STAR Senior Contributor

FWIW, the tiled grate cover is the least expensive version of grate since you end up finishing it with tile versus them having to polish a metal one...that would tend to hide the grate, so the location becomes less of an issue. It works just as well, just don't lose the little tool you use to pull it up to clean the drain body occasionally!

Make sure to polish the top cut edge so it isn't sharp...a rubbing block or diamond pad works for that.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
Unread 04-06-2021, 04:57 AM   #9
jondon

Early on back in 2012 when line drains were becoming the latest and greatest to have I put some in the tile top grate. It might be cheaper but you have to tile it and the labor spent on tiling it will take you time.

I do agree with Jim that in your case if your gonna be 2" off the wall tiling it might help the cause if you are OCD about the layout. Your still going to have to stop that back towards the drain.

All the tile in line drain grates I have replaced with open grate or closed grate take it for what it's worth.

Jon Donmoyer

JD Tile

Unread 04-06-2021, 05:46 PM   #10
jadnashua

STAR Senior Contributor

Time priorities can vary considerably depending on whether you're a DIY'er, or a pro trying to get to the next job. The tileable grate can help hide it in the field if that's useful to you, and if it is, then the cost is irrelevant, whether you're doing it yourself, or paying to have it done. IF you're doing it yourself, the less expensive materials may be a factor, too. You probably won't have to buy extra tile to tile the drain cover, but I suppose you might, and depending on the tile, that may make the materials costs closer.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase