Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-28-2021, 10:49 PM   #1
nappy

Newbie lookin for advice

I've read and read and think I can do the project I have in mind. Have an out door barbeque that is tiled now. Some of the tiles are coming loose so I want to try my hand at redoing it.

I want to use granite squares from a big box retailer. The ones I'm looking at are 12" X 12" so I'm looking to make it 8' long. Part of it will be 4' then step down to 3'. I figure it will serve my needs and will be the easiest to do. What I want to do is have no grout joints, but them tight together. Then run a 3" border all around.

Will it be a problem with no grout joints on in the weather from rain? This is what I will be working on.
Attached Images

Unread 03-28-2021, 11:42 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Just looking at what you have, there might be plywood under the tiles with cement board over it. I never like the idea of any wood in places like that. I find that it holds up much better if the whole thing is made out of masonry and concrete. So, I guess you'll see what you're dealing with once you remove the old tiles. Then you can decide how you want to put it back together.

You want grout joints, even if they are small.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2021, 08:42 AM   #3
cx
Moderator emeritus

Mike, it'd help a lot in answering questions such as that if you'd add a geographic location to your User Profile.

What Davy said. That looks like it might be Hardiebacker on that existing top. If that's the case, then you've got two problems there.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase