Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-18-2021, 06:06 PM   #1
bobiboli

600 by 600 tiles in laundry

Hi All,

On the back of our disastrous renovation (drummy / lippage issues). We have decided to re do the renovation, starting from the laundry room and slowly the toilet room, and then the entire ground floor.

Just want to make sure we got everything right this time, keen to obtain opinion on large tile (600mm by 600mm)(24" by 24") for the laundry and toilet room floor (we have left over from the botched job).

Would it be possible? Or is it not recommended at all?

Previous Lippage Thread.

Previous "Drummy Tile" thread.

Many thanks
Charlie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by cx; 03-18-2021 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Add Gringo conversion and links to other threads
bobiboli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-18-2021, 06:54 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Charlie.

I'm usually inclined to combine all threads on the same project, but as you indicate you're gonna re-do those previous floor tile installation I just linked them in your new thread. Important to have some of that information, such as that you'll be installing on concrete SOG and such.

There is no technical reason you cannot install those large tiles anywhere you want them. It would only be a matter of aesthetic considerations, which are best left up to Mrs. Charlie.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2021, 08:16 AM   #3
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Hi, Charlie.

I have read your previous threads. In high-end work that is paid accordingly, your request for such a flat floor is welcomed with open arms if the installer controls the materials. The same request is the death of an installer who isn’t allowed to control the materials or hasn’t charged a very high rate of labor per tile for what is a very slow process.

Your desire to have a floor that is so much more perfect than industry standards is something you need to express explicitly to your installers. Words like, “I want it perfect” will not convey what your desire is. I’d tell your potential tradesperson that you will be done down on the floor using a 5/1000th of an inch feeler gauge at the left, middle, and right side to all four sides of every single tile in the room with a machined 6’ straightedge to check for your “maximum acceptable lippage limit”.

Help an awesome summer camp!

Last edited by Tool Guy - Kg; 03-19-2021 at 11:42 PM. Reason: opps...spelling error. Thanks, CX!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2021, 08:47 AM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldstein
...you will be done [down] on the floor using a 5/1000th of an inch feeler gauge...
That would be about a tenth of a mm, Charlie.

Me an' Goldstein will agree to come down and flatten it for you to that tolerance if you'll pay travel and expenses and take us diving on the Great Barrier Reef before it's all gone (the reef, not your floor).

[Aside] How the hell would we do that, Tonto?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2021, 12:16 AM   #5
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

We won't just flatten the floor. We're gonna do the whole kit and caboodle. First, we'll get a lay of the land by using a laser level to mark the height elevations at every foot interval on the whole slab. Then we'll figure out what the finished floor plane will be to understand where we'll grind the high spots and fill the low spots. Then we'll get into the fun part of using a 20-30 grit surface grinder and spend an unbelievable amount of time grinding the high spots. Then we'll fill the low spots.

After that floor prep, we'll establish the exact finished plane by temporarily mortaring 2" scrape pieces of the tiles to their exact height. We'll set them with a minimum mortar thickness of 3/32" above the high spots onna floor. Then we will do what you are not supposed to do...and that's to use our mortar to level each and every tile to the exact height of those 2" tiles. We will spend copious amounts of time adding and subtracting mortar from each tile. And we'll spend even more time cleaning the oozing mortar from the joints as we struggle like crazy to get great coverage under the tiles.

Sadly, we'll only get about 25 square feet done per day. But it'll be grand, because the floor will be so flat that folks will mistaken the floor for a sheet of vinyl. And every other day, we get to go scuba diving.

Help an awesome summer camp!

Last edited by Tool Guy - Kg; 03-21-2021 at 12:03 AM.
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase