Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-20-2020, 07:08 PM   #1
jjaazzy

Quick Drain- Curbless - Wedi

Hello and thank you in advance.
This will be my 3rd bathroom redo. First had, Durock/ Kerdi walls, Noble waterproof membrane on shower floor Quickdrain linear drain had a flange of Noble WPM so we continued with it, NWP up sides with kerdi on walls married to it over-top. Ditra the entire floor and waterproofed all the baseboard area for a true wet room. Worked great awesome bathroom thanks to many who helped me.
2nd was a tub surround Durock / Kerdi another winner, then sold the house!

3rd bathroom where I am at now, everything has changed, need to learn new tricks. This is going in a Granny Suite for my mom.
Project is 7ft wide shower 4ft deep. 2 walls (left and rear) are framed 2x4's one right side wall is CBS or CMU they are called now AKA Cement Block, has broken painted plaster on it now, this was a wall in a laundry room.

Floor will be framed 2 x 6, 12" on center (newly framed floating floor.) It's a raised house.
A 7ft long linear quick drain across the back. Quick drains PET pitch panels from front to back. We will have to drop the shower floor to come up with the 1" 1/4 for the pitch and I have to figure out actual number when adding thickness of tile/ water proof membrane/mortar (x3)in the shower / out of shower with Ditra, tile and Mortar (x2). I have to still figure that out and it's hurting my brain. Anyone want to give me a hint, I am not sure yet what the floor tile will be.
So I like the WEDI walls. What do I use over the top of the (QD) Pitch Panels Shower floor, that has to also marry to the linear Quick drain and what do I do with transition from floor to wall where they meet? What product do you suggest. Are we using membrane or is the Wedi caulk enough? Scares me,
Also what about this right side concrete wall? How does it get treated? How do we marry it to the shower floor.
I have been watching videos and trying to figure this all out but the pressure is on now and I need a correct answer so here I am.
Sorry about all the marry talk,, I am sure there is a better term. TIA
Unread 05-21-2020, 10:15 AM   #2
jjaazzy

update

I want to update this for anyone that had the same dilemma as myself. Quick drain has a sheet membrane and it will go up after the wedi walls 8" up the wall and attache it just like you would kerdi.
Unread 05-23-2020, 11:55 AM   #3
jjaazzy

Help....

Totally confused, don't think Wedi is the product for me. What waterproofing board is recommended now. And what is this I am seeing 8+9 product?
Unread 05-23-2020, 01:11 PM   #4
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I'm not a Wedi fan but there are installers that like it. You're trusting a bead of caulk to water proof your shower and I don't like that.

The Ardex 8 + 9 is a waterproofing membrane. There's a lot to read on it here on the forum, just do a search.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2020, 08:48 AM   #5
jjaazzy

Thank you, so much for responding I have been loosing my mind with all the research. I think I am slowly coming to the conclusion that I need to stick to what I know. Durock and Kerdi for the walls. Thought it was a great idea to avoid the heavy Durock, but it is what I have used before and I know it works well. The 8+9 is a new one on me, is it suggested that I do that in addition?
I have one cement wall that is plaster and painted, in rough condition. I would think I should Durock it but maybe not? If I do, how do I attach the cement board? Last time we were dealing with wood framing only.
Unread 05-24-2020, 10:44 AM   #6
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

It depends on a few things. Is this a wall that has been mudded out? How thick is the mud? And, how flat and plumb is it? Can you post a picture of it?

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2020, 08:08 PM   #7
D & D Reno

If you are trying to avoid cement board (it isn’t fun to work with), use one of the foam waterproof boards. Kerdi Board, Laticrete Hydro Ban, etc.
Unread 05-27-2020, 09:12 AM   #8
jjaazzy

d&d will these products play nice with the Sheet membrane that I get from Quick drain? I am doing a long trench.
the wall is plumb. It has been plastered, painted and some of the plaster got wet cracked and fell away (before I owned house so its been years) I will try and post pic.
I believe everything on it is pretty tight. I think I will just rock it too. Can I liquid nail it to the wall and then kerdi it?
Unread 05-27-2020, 08:45 PM   #9
D & D Reno

Maybe I was confused on what on in your walls. I thought you were going down to studs and didn’t want to do cement board on studs with a membrane over cement board.

The foam boards typically attach to studs and have a waterproof membrane on them already. You do still have to seal the screw penetrations and seems. Each manufacture has their own method to do this.
Unread 05-27-2020, 08:47 PM   #10
D & D Reno

A picture would help to see what your working with.
Unread 05-27-2020, 08:59 PM   #11
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Schluter's preferred backer is plain drywall...cheap, easy to cut and works just fine, easily available in larger sheets. You can use a CMU, as it has been tested and certified to work with them as well, but they are not required unless your local building department requires it. They should accept plain drywall if they accept the certification test results done for Schluter, though.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2020, 09:23 AM   #12
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

I'm a little confused on where we are right now. Can you provide a recap of which products you want to use and maybe provide a link to the drain? A photo of the space is helpful too.

For what it's worth, I think Wedi is the best backerboard out there. Here's a photo of a Wedi shower with a linear drain that I did. I know the drain is different than the one that you are looking at but it's just an example.

Name:  2018-04-27 13.15.51.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  102.0 KB
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2020, 02:35 PM   #13
jjaazzy

This is the concrete block wall, how do I prepare this wall.
First let me apologize for not getting back to this thread earlier they started working and I was busy trying to keep up. So I decided to go with what I am familiar with using durock with kerdi over top. I called durock manufacturer about this wall was told to use furing strips then attach durock. Dh doesn't see point. I called kerdi to see if I could just add kerdi onit she said paint wall first with latex paint. That didn't seem right. This window cutout is in its rough stage it has to be cleaned up. I'm going to post other photos. Appreciate your time direction and help.
Attached Images

Unread 06-20-2020, 02:58 PM   #14
jjaazzy

This is an overall view of the space, you can see at the bottom of the photo the 7ft quick drain.
Attached Images

Unread 06-23-2020, 03:15 PM   #15
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

I didn't reread the whole thread but you should be able to add Wedi board over all three walls. You would fasten it to two walls with screws and washers then glue it to the block wall.

Probably have to remove the paint first. I don't think you have to use Wedi either. Just any manufacturer that will let you glue the board to concrete.

Hopefully, that's helpful. If you have more specific questions then I think you might get more answers.
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase