Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-09-2020, 02:11 PM   #1
redlude97

Drywall to Schluter Transition sealing

This is not my wall but was watching this and was wondering how others would fix this transition to make sure its waterproof, silicone the gap?

https://youtu.be/hNtRwhuzcuc

I think the correct solution from the beginning is to use this bead but I've never seen it available before

https://www.trim-tex.com/products/ov...nel-tear-away/

Would you just grind out a channel in the mud next to the profile to allow for caulk?
Attached Images

Unread 12-09-2020, 03:14 PM   #2
cbaum

I'm rather new at this but have studied Schluter stuff quite a bit.

I'm not sure why you'd want or need to waterproof a transition between kerdi and drywall. If you're getting water directly splashed onto that transition area, I think you've already done something wrong. If water is contacting the transition it is likely going to contact the drywall which is no good. I would extend the kerdi beyond the reach of direct water contact.
Unread 12-09-2020, 03:36 PM   #3
redlude97

Like most tile installs, it extends just outside the shower alcove past the tub flange by ~1-2" which inevitably gets wet but most of the installs I've seen the tile extends out past the drywall(ie the backerboard and drywall are flush) so there is a 90 degree joint that gets caulked. In this case the tile is flush with the wall which I think looks nicer but I'm trying to figure out how to do that smoothly with the same caulked transition

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase