Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-20-2021, 06:46 PM   #1
pghsebring

Need help finding 1 inch transition from concrete terrazzo to tile

I have a house that the previous owners remodeled the open kitchen and put in kitchen tile on a pretty thick mortar bed, so there is now a 7/8" min 1-1/8" max (averages 1") transition from a flat concrete terrazzo slab in adjoining room to the top of the porcelain tile in kitchen. It is ugly as hell but the main problem is stubbed toes. There are walls on each side and the opening is about 53" wide. I've thought of a bunch of ideas (bullnose some other tile and cut kitchen back, put in stone threshold of some sort, etc) but what I think I want to do is simply put in a plain metal gray transition (probably aluminum) as a little ramp. However, I am struggling to find one for this large of transition that will lay flat on top of tile in the kitchen and have ~45 degree angle to the terrazzo. Does anyone have a specific model or link they know of that will work for me? I am trying to avoid the transitions that go "up" even higher and then back down, we'd be at 1.25-1.5" total then. Or if someone has a creative idea I haven't thought of.
Unread 05-21-2021, 12:08 AM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Hi, Stuart.

Maybe a picture would stimulate some creative solutions for you?

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2021, 12:23 PM   #3
pghsebring

Its not actually curved its straight, thats just a camera artifact
Attached Images

Last edited by pghsebring; 05-21-2021 at 05:40 PM. Reason: spelling
pghsebring is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2021, 09:56 PM   #4
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

I think I'd consider removing that row of smaller tiles near the two floors' junction, grind down the existing stuff into a ramp so that when you installed new tile there, the edges at the transition were flush. It's a fairly small area, and, while dusty, a diamond cup wheel could probably make quick work of it. That would assume you have some spare tile you can use as you'll probably destroy that row when removing them.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2021, 06:05 PM   #5
pghsebring

I got half lucky, while there was no good answer, I did remove that front row and the mortar under it was barely adhered to the concrete floor so it came off in huge pieces, no grinding necessary other than cutting through the grout with a sawzall with shop vac getting 99% of the dust from that. So minimal indoor mess. The unlucky part is I am grinding down a piece of engineered stone into a ramp, a lot of dust and hard work outside (and way too many hours, and 7 different consumables including blade/cup/30/60/120/220/320.) I'll post a pic when its done. I hate these original tilers, who would leave something like this.
Unread 05-31-2021, 11:54 PM   #6
pghsebring

Here's how it turned out
Name:  IMG_7112 3.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  73.5 KB
Name:  IMG_7113 3.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  85.8 KB
Unread 05-31-2021, 11:58 PM   #7
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Wow, that looks great, Stuart. I love how you were able to start the strip right at the corner.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase