Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-13-2020, 05:31 PM   #1
marklevinson1

Installing Schluter edging over tile backer/drywall transition

Okay, so I have been remodeling my bathroom. I have all of my Densshield panels installed, everything caulked, fiberglass tape embedded with thinset. I am using Schluter edging for both the shower niche and where the tiles will meet the drywall. Working with 1/4" 12x24" porcelain tile. The tile will go past the tub by about 2.5" and with the edging 3". The tile can't go past 3" as it bumps up against my baseboard heater. The tile will end just about where the tile back meets the drywall. I will be mudding over the drywall side with joint compound to cover the thinset that is on the drywall. The issue is with the slight bump with the silicone and the tape and thinset that joint is raised slightly and my schluter edging is rocking a bit back and forth. I was originally planning on attaching the edging first with a few screws/nails and then cutting the tile to fit but now I am not so sure. Any tips on how to work with this?

thanks,

Mark
Attached Images

marklevinson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-13-2020, 06:21 PM   #2
Mathman

I am just a DYI guy. So, I did the same thing but I was using kerdi board. Question.. You don't use any tape or band over the joints for Dennshield?
Can that joint be lightly sanded to smooth it out?

I used screws to get the position set and began tiling the first two rows. Once I measured carefully for the cuts, I set the trim for about 2 feet at that point in thinset. Then I used a level to make it all straight and set the rest of the trim in thinset and then cleaned off any extra and let it set. Used blue tape to help keep it in place till it set and then was very careful to cut the tile to fit.

Pictures showing the in process and finished look.
Attached Images

Unread 09-13-2020, 08:31 PM   #3
Kman

Yep, removing what is causing the bumps is really the only way to get the profile to lie flat on the wall.

You can reapply the silicone as needed, and smooth it out to avoid the same issue.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase