Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 07-29-2019, 01:16 PM   #1
hellopotato

Unglazed porcelain bathroom floor - to seal or not to seal?

I was researching grout sealer, and came across this article: https://homethods.com/best-grout-sealer-reviews/ which led me to wonder if I should seal my unglazed porcelain tiles on the bathroom floor.

1. I was planning to use StoneTech Heavy Duty Grout Sealer, but would this be an issue with my unglazed tiles?
2. I have read conflicting messages regarding sealing unglazed porcelain, even on this forum. I understand that the argument against (trapped water inside the tile), and the argument for (protection against stains, etc) seems obvious. I'm at a loss on how to proceed.
3. Edit to add: Also is it possible that unglazed porcelain can come sealed by the manufacturer? The tile is kind of shiny, but not slippery. It does not appear to absorb water (water beads), but I would have to test this specifically to be 100% sure. I am not at home right now but will check tonight.

For reference, here is my tile: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Corso-It...1725/303197131
The specs state: Unglazed smooth finish with random variation in tone

But I am confused because what I have read is that unglazed tile has no top coating/ they should be through-body. When we chip our tile (which we have done) it is clearly not through body. The pattern is only on the top layet and the sides/ bottom are homogeneous gray color.

Last edited by hellopotato; 07-29-2019 at 01:31 PM. Reason: add detail
hellopotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-29-2019, 03:04 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Kristen, if you'll follow that link you posted and look at the Specifications page you'll see that it's listed as a Colored Body Porcelain Tile. The pattern on the surface, from a stain or other treatment, is not continued through the body of the tile, but the tile body is usually one of the colors of the patterned surface.

If you look at the Use and Care Manual page you'll not find anything at all about sealing, but there is, under Maintenance, in bold print an admonishment to "avoid using waxes and/or impregnants." I would presume that an impregnating sealer would fall under the heading of "impregnants," but I can't say I've ever seen that term before.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2019, 05:48 PM   #3
hellopotato

CX, thanks. I don't know why I didn't notice the PDF manuals before. I will read thoroughly and it seems my question regarding sealing is answered.

Does the fact that it is "colored body" tile mean that it's glazed? Or is it unglazed with a pattern on top? I am just curious and trying to make sense of what my tile actually is. Thanks!!!
Unread 07-29-2019, 05:54 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your link, Product Overview
Unglazed smooth finish with random variation in tone

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase