Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-07-2014, 09:01 PM   #1
feggymango

Can you use servolight with Kerdi

Has anyone had any luck with using servolight thinset with kerdi, going over new drywall, tile is going to be 12-24. I know that schluter recommends unmodified but heard info that servolight cures/dries in a different manner than modified thinsets and would be alright to use. Just about to start a shower and they already have a bag of the servolight there

Last edited by feggymango; 02-07-2014 at 09:13 PM.
feggymango is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-07-2014, 09:16 PM   #2
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Not familiar with that brand, but if it is a rapid set mortar, if you call Schluter, they will allow it. If not, you're on your own. Depending on the tile, it could take months for a normal modified thinset to dry and cure properly. Unless you're a pro, most DIY'ers will have problems with a rapid set - some of them start to cure in 20-minutes, so your pot life is very short.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2014, 10:15 PM   #3
Metamorphic

I have used servolight many times over Kerdi without a problem. You will void any warranty from Schuller but the tile will stick no problem. If using it under the kerdi you need to add more water to your mix. Drywall should be taped and primed.
Unread 02-08-2014, 10:11 AM   #4
wilander

i used servolight in my kerdi shower as well. it's only slightly modified so i had no issues using it. it's a good quality thinset.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase