Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-14-2021, 08:14 AM   #1
srtgolfer

Floated Wall Repair for Tile over Tile

Good Morning !
I’m a new user and this is my first post. Here we go!

Our DIY project is to renovate our 38 year old bathroom. We removed the tub and plan a new shower only install.
I plan to tile over tile (ceramic) for both the shower wall and entire bathroom floor. There has been no evidence of water leakage or cracking. It is seems to wasteful to remove such a solid base.

The area where the tub was removed I will replace with Kerdi board and also use their shower floor and drain product. I will use the Kerdi seam waterproofing material for the transitioned area from Kerdi to the tile wall.
The existing shower walls are ½” drywall, metal lath, and ½” floated cement, ¼” ceramic tile.

I will have to repair the shower wall surface where several areas of the ceramic tiles were removed.
For the shower wall, I plan to attach metal lath over the now exposed floated wall areas and then float a repair to be level with the remaining tiles.

On the floor, I also plan to put metal lath and a float material to level the area where the vanity stood.

My questions:
1) What is the best cement mix to put over the existing floated wall?
2) Do I really need to attach another layer of lath or is there another surface prep I should use? I’m thinking if I attach lath over the existing floated wall it may not lay level enough to the remaining tiled area when I apply the float. The remaining tiles and thin set is about 3/8” high.

Thanks in advance for your time and expertis
Unread 05-14-2021, 06:40 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi Steve, keep in mind this isn't something we usually do. We would gut the whole thing and start over.

In the areas where the tiles were removed from the mud, you can add a layer of thinset mortar on the old mud and apply new mud. You want to add the new mud while the thinset is still wet. It will bond the new mud to the old.

On the floor where the cabinet was, you're going to have a cold joint there which could give you problems. Those tiles could crack if there's any movement.

Dry pack or deck mud is probably what they used on the floor. You can buy Mapei's 4 to 1 at Lowes. You can also buy scratch and brown mud at most Lowes stores. It's in the concrete dept. The 4 to 1 is in the Tile dept.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2021, 08:46 AM   #3
srtgolfer

Hi Davy,

Thanks a ton for the prompt response.
I saw Quikcrete sells a product labeled as a Scratch and Brown.

I looked for a scratch and brown product at our local Home Depot and Lowes but no luck. There aren’t very many employees anymore with subject matter expertise at our local big box stores. Most gave me deer in headlight eyes when I asked.

Can the scratch and brown mixture be made with other components? There are a million different varieties of cement/concrete products out there. The applications appear to be endless and complex.

I did find one Quikcrete product:
QUIKRETE® FastSet® Repair Mortar (No. 1241) is specifically formulated to make structural repairs to any concrete, masonry or stucco surface. Low sag formula makes it ideal for vertical and overhead repairs. 20-30 minute working time and unique properties allow sculpting of the material during placement. Exceeds ASTM C928 R2.
Use for Vertical and Overhead Repairs to:
• Concrete
• Masonry
• Stucco Surfaces

Regarding the floor patch. I’m less concerned about stress cracks over that area as a new vanity with legs will be resting over that area. I understand floor shifting may cause some cracking but it will be in a covered area with no foot traffic.
Thanks again !
Unread 05-15-2021, 02:06 PM   #4
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Steve, I've never used the Qwikrete product you mentioned but it may very well work. I have used pallet loads of the Qwikrete scratch and brown. Out of all the Home Depot stores in Dallas, there's only one that has the Qwikrete scratch and brown in stock. But they say, any of them can order it.

I have used Amerimix brand preblended mortar type S. It will work for your wall patches. I found it at Lowes.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase