Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-16-2006, 09:38 AM   #1
PST

Marble over Marble Question

I am adding a decorative rectangular design over a backsplash that is currently tumbled marble. The design is going under the range hood and consists of more tumbled marble and some metal accent tiles. My question is when placing the new tiles over the existing marble do I thinset the whole area where the design is going or is back buttering the new tiles and placing them on the wall good enough. I am using Kerabond + Keralastic mortar and a 1/4" sqaure notch trowel. If thinsetting the whole area is the way to go, is there a trick to keeping the surrounding tile not covered by the new design clean. Don't want thinset outside of the rectangular design.

Thanks for the help.

Paul
PST is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-16-2006, 09:43 AM   #2
bbcamp

You can simply back butter your tile as you set them. I would suggest a border of painter's tape to help keet any squeeze out from sticking where you don't want it.

Be sure that there is no sealer or grease on the surface of the existing tiles.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2006, 03:39 AM   #3
PST

I have removed the original second layer of tile the was over the tumbled marble. It came off relatively clean, however there is some thinset that stuck in the grout lines of the bottom layer of marble. Do I need to scape all the thinset off before setting my new second layer of tile? Will the small amount left hurt new installation? My new second layer is again tumbled marble set with Kerabond + Keralastic.

Thanks Again,
Paul
PST is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2006, 06:12 AM   #4
bbcamp

Those lumps of thinset need to be less than 1/16" tall or they will interfere with your new tiles.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase