Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-11-2021, 12:30 PM   #1
Ande8414

Schluter Membrane with Goboard?

Hi! Thanks in advance for your help as I haven't done a shower before! Wife and I feel confident we can do it. One big question we're trying to understand, I bought a bunch of Goboard for our shower, and now favoring the Schluter kit for the shower tray and membrane for the walls. Is it okay and does it make sense to do Kerdi membrane over Goboard? I keep thinking it would be nice to be double waterproof since the Goboard is so light and easy to work with, but haven't yet seen that combination used. And the Schluter kit comes with the membrane so may as well use it? Right now we have the plastic vapor barrier over the studs on the exterior wall, and then we're thinking Goboard, and then membrane. Please and thank you so much for your thoughts!
Unread 01-11-2021, 02:40 PM   #2
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

I have no experience with, or even seen, GoBoard. It appears it has more in common with Wedi than Kerdi. If it's a fleeced surface like Kerdi or Kerdi Board it might work. What sort or drain does GoBoard call for and what's their recommended method for floor pan?

In general, I will caution against a couple of things.
1. The train of thought that says 2 waterproofing layers are better than one is flawed, sometimes fatally. Pick a system, install it correctly and be happy. More is not better.

2. Understand that if you engineer your own system, any failure to perform will be completely on you. I like sure things when it comes to showers. If gambling, I like Blackjack.

I'm not a fan of foam pans for a couple of reasons. I prefer more slope than they provide and they're just too fragile and prone to damage than seems necessary.

Silicone (not silicon) Sealant Ranger
Carbidetooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2021, 03:10 PM   #3
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Robbie.

What Peter said.

I would also recommend you eliminate the vapor barrier material over the stud wall if you plan to use a direct bonded waterproofing membrane (Kerdi, etc.) on the shower walls.

If you want to use a foam board for your walls, I'd recommend you use one of the same manufacture as the membrane. KerdiBoard with Kerdi, etc.

If using Kerdi, I would recommend you use plain white drywall as your backing material and for absolutely sure remove the vapor barrier material.

And I'd create my sloped shower floor using deck mud rather than the foam tray.

But for gambling, I disagree with Peter. I prefer craps.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase