Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 09-14-2018, 12:36 PM   #1
spta97

Granite/Marble over Kerdi/Ditra set time before caulking

Hi,

Quick question hopefully. I am installing a granite window sill in the shower going over Kerdi using unmodified thinset. Once I install, I will be caulking around it where it meets the window and tile.

Schluter says it’s ok to caulk as soon as I install (no cure time for the thinset). Is everyone in agreement?

I’m planning on frog (green) taping around the caulk bead to get a sharp line and just a little worried I might shift the granite as I’m pulling it off as unmodified tends to be less “grabby” (though the granite sill is 17lbs).

Same question for a threshold (on top of ditra or concrete).

Summary: Should I allow cure time of unmodified thinset for thresholds/granite before I caulk? If so, how much?
Old 09-14-2018, 01:49 PM   #2
rmckee84

I would give it a little time to set up if it were me, personally I wait until the next day. Taping off is fine, but I'll offer a little tip with silicone...if you just run your bead then spray with Denatured alcohol or aerosol glass cleaner and tool the joint it makes it really easy. The silicone won't stick to anything that has the glass cleaner or alcohol on it.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 02:13 PM   #3
spta97

Thanks. I was thinking a little time couldn’t hurt

I typically will use denatured alcohol but never had good luck with the tools.

Any trick for going around inside corners without stopping? I have to caulk around the sill and entire window so I have two places where the caulk goes three different directions
Old 09-14-2018, 02:25 PM   #4
rmckee84

Not really, a caulking tool, my finger, and Denatured alcohol is all I ever use.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 04:03 PM   #5
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

A typical unmodified should be fine to play with the thing after a couple of hours. You wouldn't want to put any weight on it then, but it shouldn't hurt anything to caulk. I'd read the instructions on the caulk you choose, as they may have a minimum timeframe listed...some won't bond well if the surface is still damp which, if you just set the thing and then sponged it clean...there could be excess moisture there.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 05:36 PM   #6
spta97

Thanks for the reply. I’ll probably give it to the next day before I caulk.

For reference, I’m using Tec unmodified uncoupling mortar (Lowe’s) and ColorRite Color-Sil for the finish caulk which is an RTV silicone.

The granite window sill is about 48” x 4” x 3/4” thick.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase