Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 08-27-2019, 05:26 PM   #1
BethK77356

severe calcium buildup on black river rock stone shower floor - NEED ADVICE

Help. I am selling my house and need to get this clean and sealed before the photographer takes pictures. I have white calcium buildup on the black stone shower floor and also on the stacked stone walls. I have tried Bio-Clean, vinegar, CLR, Lime-a-way (not at the same time). I believe it was the CLR soak that helped some (note on the pictures the areas that look more gray). I have also tried a scrubbing attachment on my screw gun and an electric power washer in a few areas, as well as steam. It is barely coming off unless I chip away at each stone with a flat edge screwdriver. What else can I try? I do not have a window that opens for ventilation, so I have not attempted muriatic acid. If this is beyond what I can do, who do I call and what do I ask them to specifically do?

*also, that is a brass clawfoot tub under the wrapping. I just wrapped it to protect it. Does it need to be removed before I attempt anything else?

FYI - left side of wall is actually darker....the window reflection made it look light. Thank you for any advice that comes my way!
Attached Images

Unread 08-27-2019, 09:19 PM   #2
cx
Da Home Builder

Welcome, Beth.

I think even our young helpers are gonna need better photos than that one if they're to be of any help in diagnosing your problem.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2019, 09:32 PM   #3
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Welcome to the forum, Beth!

Lots of things going on here. This will seem kind of random:

Of utmost importance: please don’t consider using muriatic acid under any circumstance in the house. No matter what kind of ventilation you might think up. While a mason who works outside may talk differently, this chemical has absolutely no business being used in a house under any circumstance. It’s way too dangerous to your lungs. Breathing it in can cause scarring of the lungs. And the fumes will easily cause everything in its wake that is capable of rusting to rust in a big hurry. If you want to read horror stories, we can give you links to bad stuff. But I think you’re more interested in cleaning it with other methods.

First observation: the picture is too small to give a clue as to what’s going on. Can you provide some close-ups? I am really fearing that your walls are stacked stone that doesn’t have any grout between the tiles. If that’s the case, the mystery is solved. But I’m really hoping that isn’t the case. Assuming not...

First question: what makes you think you’ve got calcium?

Next: any idea how the waterproofing was done under the tile? I ask because if this is efflorescence (salt like minerals eminating from the cement material under the tile), it would seem that there’s a waterproofing issue that’s causing this in the first place.

Next: the tile is not impervious to being damaged by harsh chemicals and suggest that if you keep experimenting, that you test it in a very small area. And I would be interested in hearing how you applied each of the chemicals.

Next: if you’re in a rush, have you considered hiring a stone restoration company?

Help an awesome summer camp!

Last edited by Tool Guy - Kg; 08-27-2019 at 09:37 PM.
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2019, 02:49 PM   #4
BethK77356

More pics

I'm not sure if I am resizing these right.
Attached Images

Unread 08-29-2019, 09:42 PM   #5
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Any comments on my questions?

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase