Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-02-2019, 06:43 PM   #196
Themus

Yes the bull nose edge and the painted wall.

Not sure what you mean by the 95% coverage. The tile sits on top of Hardie Backer, with a Schluter Kerdi Membrane.
Unread 09-02-2019, 06:55 PM   #197
cx
Da Home Builder

The 95 percent is the amount of the back of each tile that is supposed to be covered by thinset mortar after the tile has been set. That is the bond between the tile and the Kerdi membrane. It's a difficult standard to meet, but you want to get as close as you can.

The bullnose edge/outside wall joint should, technically, have been filled with a flexible sealant, but it's common for folks to grout that joint. Problem with grouting is that it will quite likely crack before long. The sealant will flex a bit with the differential movement.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2019, 05:57 PM   #198
Themus

Sounds like then my thoughts about caulking along those two edges is a good idea. Basically I would be doing what you suggest he should have done. I'll caulk it flush to the edge. Right now the grout as I mentioned is a bit shy of it.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase