Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-23-2013, 12:45 PM   #1
nflores07030

Newbie - hiring a contractor to retile shower - NEED HELP

Hi,
So I made the mistake of hiring a guy (contractor) to do a retiling of my shower in my bathroom without doing my homework on what that job requires so I can manage his work. And I am sure everyone who is out there who does this for a living probably hates to be micromanaged, so please do not think I want to do this...I just want to make sure he is installing this correctly to avoid problems in the future. I found out the other day that he put drywall up (to the studs) and according to him he was going to put cement board on top of the drywall. I stopped the project after doing some research and finding out Drywall is a big NO NO. He explained to me he needed something under the cement board (not sure why since many people say just put the cement over a plastic barrier over studs). But I think because of a gap between the floor pan and the wall. I instructed him to remove the drywall and if he felt he needed something behind the cement board - then at least use greenboard not drywall with a vapor barrier (6 mil plastic).

So here are my questions:
1) what is the best or preferred way to do this - meaning to waterproof? I am petrified about leaking and mold and I do not want this to be a job I tear down or have to redo in the future not to mention the liability issues if I do get a leak or the safety issues for my family's health if I get mold. The contractor has been in the business for 30 yrs and is skeptical to listen to me.

A) greenboard, vapor barrier, and cement board (Durock or Hardi - does it matter)? ** Is there any danger to using greenboard under cement board so long as I use the plastic barrier?

B) cement board and liquid membrane over board to waterproof (redgard, laticrete/hydroban, etc..) no plastic behind

C) Kerdi system (what goes under Kerdi, is it cement, drywall under Kerdi?) or another sheet membrane system.
Unread 05-23-2013, 01:12 PM   #2
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Flor,

First off - pictures. We so love us some pictures.

Second, I concur - a drywall+cement board sandwich only invites moisture problems. Instead of DW to make up the gap he shouldda used some firing strips or other correctly sized lumber to make up the difference. Then poly sheeting, then cement board.

But, ifn all y'all are that worried about mold I'd be inclined to opt for a surface applied membrane; RedGuard, Hydroban, etc-etc. In that case, cement board right to the studs - no poly behind, tape and mud the joints as usual, then whatever number of coats the manufacturer of the membrane specifies.

This is a shower, not a tub surround, Jah? What about the pan details?
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 01:20 PM   #3
nflores07030

Pictures

Here are the pics of the drywall, the other side of the shower without the drywall and the frame.
Attached Images

Unread 05-23-2013, 01:27 PM   #4
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Huh, silver seam tape is a new twist, not seen that before.

Need a coupla pics of the shower base, Flor.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2013, 08:18 PM   #5
nflores07030

Greenboard then Cement/Hardi - how to waterproof

So I think we decided to pull ou the drywall for obvious reasons, but since we still need something for support and to fill in the gap, we opted for Greenboard. I know greenboard is not recommended in showers but we will be putting cement board on top. What is the best waterproofing? Is it vapor barrier between greenboard and cement board (4-6 mil plastic), or can I adhere the cement board directly to the greenboard and then use a liquid waterproofing?
Unread 05-27-2013, 08:24 PM   #6
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

To better answer your questions we need to see the shower floor.

What ya got going on there?

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase