Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 05-19-2013, 12:56 PM   #1
bdobs

Minimum dry time before re-sealing and caulking travertine bath?

Hi all

I tiled my tub surround about 5 years ago and i now need to re-seal the grout/stone and re-caulk the edge where the tile meets the tub.
The tile and grout are in fairly good shape. I am getting a little mildew in some sections of grout(mainly in the areas under the shower head close to the valve) and some, what appears to be, soap scum on some of the grout. The travertine tiles still look good. We squeegee after every shower...ok well I do after every shower but my wife is not so good about it
The original caulk job was not a very good one and I used the HD non silacone stuff and it is peeling away in spots and I have big problems with mildew in there. I plan on removing it all and re-doing with a Silicone type caulk.

Anyways...
How long do I need to not use the shower before I can clean and seal/caulk? Problem is, that this is our only shower/bath in the house.

Any recommendations on cleaning products for the grout and Travertine?

I have not sealed the tiles/grout since original install approaching 5 years ago. I used a Dupont/Stonetech sealer back then. Solvent based I believe.
I just ordered a quart of Dupont bullet proof water based sealer for my new backsplash, so I figure I can just use that to do the bath.

Here is a picture of the bath from when it was almost finished
Attached Images

Unread 05-19-2013, 03:48 PM   #2
airscapes

I do the caulk demo, scrub mildew spots with mold remove not bleach (paint department of HD) then hang heavy plastic from the top with some 2" frog tape. Ring the complete tub, pop off the show head and thread the pipe though a small hole in the plastic. Dry the plastic and tub with a towel after the last use and lift the plastic over the shower rod.. Then wait a week or so and finish the job. Use the plastic to protect the caulk while it sets up, remove the plastic and seal.
Unread 05-19-2013, 03:54 PM   #3
bdobs

Just so I am clear, your saying to seal the area off with thick plastic after cleaning, use the shower as normal for a week or so, keeping the tile and tub rim dry, then seal and caulk?

Thanks!
Unread 05-19-2013, 04:22 PM   #4
airscapes

Yeah, in other words, get it ready to caulk, then Hang plastic, so the walls and rim stay dry while you use the show. Don't tape the bottom of the plastic, just let it hang like a shower curtain. After each shower wipe the plastic drylift the plastic over the rod or in some way pull it way from the wall so air can move over it. After a week should be bone dry and ready to finish the job. Do the caulk, let it setup and the next day drop the plastic over the caulk if it int completely cured. When the caulk is good to go, remove the plastic and seal it. Follow the dry time for the sealer on the container before using the shower..

I need to recaulk and remove/replace some grout in my tub and will use the same process..
Unread 05-19-2013, 04:40 PM   #5
bdobs

Gotcha, perfect! Thanks!
Unread 05-19-2013, 07:14 PM   #6
bdobs

Since I have the thread going...

Any recs. as far as cleaner for the Travertine and soap scum on the grout?
Also, and tips or products to help me remove the old caulking? I believe its CeramaSeal tub and tile caulk, unsanded siliconized acrylic caulk.

I assume its recommended to re-caulk with 100% Silicone?
Unread 05-19-2013, 09:44 PM   #7
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Brian,

1- I dunno. Our resident stoners ware usually around after work, weekdays, left coast time.

2- see #1

3- Yes, you can color match the grout with 100% silicone.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase