Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-16-2011, 02:13 PM   #1
namsaev

Beveled subway tile, how to end it?

I'm using 2X4 in polished beveled marble subway tile as my kitchen backsplash. The bevel is pronounced. The thickness as the edges is about 50% of the middle. But how do I end it? Apparently there are no 2X2 in end pieces available.The counter top will be an L-Shape. I plan on starting where the cabinets do a carrying it to courner. Ending in the corner shouldn't be a problem. But how I make a vertical line from the bottom of the cabinets to the counter has me puzzled. Spliting the tile into 2 in squares will leave me with a non beveled edge on one side. Mitering a piece (three actually) I think would look a bit odd.

I could do a grind on the cut edge to match the bevel. But if I do that how hard is it to polish it? The marble is definitly high gloss.

Last edited by namsaev; 01-16-2011 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Spelling error
namsaev is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-16-2011, 02:34 PM   #2
Shaughnn
Trowel Monkey

hi Allen,
Yes, you could replicate the bevel on your cut pieces. That would require that you buy some polishing equipment and do some practicing however. An alternative would be to contact a local fabricator and ask if they will do this for you, for a fee of course.
As your project sounds like it's only got a single outside-corner, there is another option though. Lay out your tile and find the sweet spot where the running-bond pattern can be cut at a uniform height. Using a quarter-round at the corner would then flow smoothly. There are indeed firms which are manufacturing polished quarter-rounds from marble, though you'll have to find a supplier local to yourself. I've found them here in Seattle at Tierra Sol, a regional distributor.
Best of luck,
Shaughnn
Shaughnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2011, 10:16 AM   #3
CanyonTile

Finish off with trim pieces that match your marble:
i.e. Pencil liners, Chair Rails, Dome Liners, Cigaros, etc.

Go to your local tile store and see what they have that you could use, trims are available in all sorts of different cuts.

Good Luck!

We Got You Covered

www.canyontileandstone.com
CanyonTile is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase