Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 01-31-2011, 03:41 PM   #1
gnostic1919

best way to apply sealer to vertical space

I am going to be sealing the grout in three walls of tile in the shower. The grout is white and i used subway 3x6" matte white tiles. How exactly do i go about applying sealer to the grout when the stuff will be sliding down the side of the wall. Do i just pour on rag and wipe over it and then wipe dry with another r5ag in 3 minutes? Is it ok to get the sealer on the ceramic...would each ceramic need to be wiped down with a damp, water soaked cotton towel, or just a dry towel?

Also, i have used Miracle Sealer/Enhancer on tumbled slate and loved it. I want to use the Miracle product for grout, but the have both an impregnator/ sealer 511 and a plain sealer. The plain sealer is more expensive, about $38/pint, maybe. Willing to get what's good for the shower. Also, have black grout on the bathroom floor, but still would be a good idea to seal, right?

Last edited by gnostic1919; 01-31-2011 at 03:51 PM.
gnostic1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-31-2011, 03:52 PM   #2
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

I would use a rag,you will get it on the tile also but just keep wiping it off.You don't want to use so much it is splashing and dripping everywhere.

Sealers are made to keep stains from being absorbe into whatever is sealed,nothing more.I don't know which would be better frankly.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2011, 10:25 PM   #3
Seattle Tile Cleaning
Seattle Tile Cleaning

I usually use the brush tipped applicator and apply to the horizontal grout lines. Then the vertical grout lines will get sealed by excess sealer pouring down. Do a couple of times and retouch any vertical grout lines that don't get saturated.
Unread 02-02-2011, 08:53 AM   #4
Stone Dude

everyone has their preference.

I like the fuzzy paint trim pads from Home Depot. they are in the paint section. they are styrofoam-handled felt pads used for painting around door trim.

for $6 you can get this applicator and a cheap paint tray. pour a small amound of sealer in the paint tray, dip the surface of the applicator in the sealer and rub it on the side so it is not dripping wet. work the sealer in with the pad. this will eliminate waste and make it controllable without making a mess.

remove the excess sealer with microfiber towels.

MilleStone Marble and Tile Inc.
MillestoneMarble.com
Stone Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2011, 01:44 PM   #5
StoneTooling
Vending Machine

I like using something like this. They also make little bottles with rollers at the end. This may be better for vertical applications though.

http://www.miraclesealantsdirect.com...licator/Detail

StoneTooling Now shipping internationally!

Visit us and purchase through the sponsored link at the bottom of the page to support the JB forums!

Contractors - send us your information to be listed on our contractor page.
StoneTooling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2011, 09:47 PM   #6
doitright
Retired Tile & Stone Contractor

Hi Dave

Are the grout joints sanded or unsanded?

The more sealer you can get in the grout the better. I've been using STT SB-VRM. It has approximately 40% more solids than the STT SB. The carriers allow it to dry faster as well. Therefore there is a slight odor, but nothing obnoxious.

For application, I like to use a 3" throw away brush. Work bottom to top. Yes there will be dripping, so just swipe it with the same brush as you go. You can usually complete a wall before you buff dry the tiles. As always, don't allow the sealer to dry on the face of the tiles.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase