Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 12-23-2010, 11:45 PM   #1
NSXTASY

Foggy New Polished Marble - Please help

Today, I had professional installers finish laying highly polished Premium Cappuccino Beige Marble tiles in my family room. The tile has looked beautiful and shiney during the entire process...until they sealed it with Dupont Premium Sealer & Enhancer that they had recommended. After it was applied, the marble became foggy/hazy and they tried very hard to buff it, by hand, with only minimal improvement. They could not stay any later tonight, but said they will come back next week with a hand buffer and try to make it look better. They gave me attitude as if I'm just being too picky about how it looks.

Tonight, I went on Dupont's website and they don't recommend this sealer be used on polished surfaces. My question is: can my brand new foggy marble be returned to shiney and what product(s) and or machines should be used? Should it be sealed with something else if it can be restored?

Thanks for any advice !

Here are pictures of a ceiling fan reflection in an unsealed tile, sealed one and both
Attached Images

NSXTASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 12-23-2010, 11:53 PM   #2
ob1kanobee

The good news that it can be fixed. Sometimes it is fixed by taking more sealer and while it is fresh, you have to hurry up and buff it off. You can give that a try if you want but I would like you to try it on a piece that is not installed or in a small corner or inconspicuous spot. Try that first and see what happens.

Rule number one in life: You go with what you got, imperfections and all.
ob1kanobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2010, 08:38 AM   #3
jondon
Hershey Pennsylvania Tile Contractor

Send a message via AIM to jondon
Quote:
posted by NSXTASY:
Tonight, I went on Dupont's website and they don't recommend this sealer be used on polished surfaces. My question is: can my brand new foggy marble be returned to shiney and what product(s) and or machines should be used? Should it be sealed with something else if it can be restored?
Hello you say it is foggy or hazy now. Can't really tell by your pictures but we all know what you mean. In many cases a polished marble does not need to be sealed. So you had someone "professional" do this, they should have known Dupont doesn't recommend this sealer for polished surfaces. Don't know why they would have wented to put an enhancer on polished marble as well, we normally use enhancer on stone that is not polished. If they were professional it doesn't sound like they have had much experience with polished marble.

I would be working with Dupont tech. support to get this resolved and please don't tell me you paid these professional yet, they need to make it right before you make final payment, it is they're responsibility not yours. Sound like you need to get that sealer off the marble, but without damaging the marble. Dupont should be able to recommend what product to use

Also please put a first name in your signature line for us to call you. I have a feeling this thread could go on a wee bit till you get it resolved. We are a friendly bunch here and will steer you right, though a few might steer you left.....

If you are able to get it back to the original shine I would be talking to Dupont to see if they recommend a sealer or not for your particular polished stone application.

Jon Donmoyer

JD Tile

CTEF Certified Installer #825

Custom Tile Installation in Hershey & surrounding areas

Serving Dauphin, Lebanon, Berks, Chester, & Montgomery Counties PA
jondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2010, 10:48 AM   #4
Stone Dude

dont let those guys touch it !!!!!

they already have shown they dont know how to do it properly, letting them come in with power tools will only add to your misery.

this can be a very simpe fix.

Isee EXACTLY what you are talking about. it only takes an hour or two for this stuff to stick itself to the surface. when you try to clean it, it doesnt come off, only gets pushed around.

get some mineral spirits at the hardware store or home depot. Slop it on one of the tiles that is cloudy and let it sit for 60 seconds. then scrub the tile with a soft terry cloth towel, then buff dry with another clean towel.

if this works, this is the easiest way to do it.

MilleStone Marble and Tile Inc.
MillestoneMarble.com
Stone Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2010, 01:00 PM   #5
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

You can also try MEK the same way,it's stronger.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2010, 01:14 PM   #6
ob1kanobee

When you use a sealer with the ability to penetrate polished surfaces you can seal polished stone and if you can seal it then it needed it. Plus it gets the grout too.

Unread 12-24-2010, 05:45 PM   #7
NSXTASY

Thanks for all your advice. Dupont recommended mineral spirits which has made it better but not perfect. Several tiles still look like they have water spots and some haze. None are perfect like when they came from the store. The installer returned today and cleaned with mineral spitits and buffed with a hand held Porter Cable. I rented a Home Depot Buffer and "white" pads, recommended by Dupont. Tomorrow I will try more mineral spirits, buffing and HD sold me and recommended Armstrong Once 'n Done floor cleaner.

What do professional floor refinishers use to polish high gloss marble to it's brightest shine?
Unread 12-25-2010, 06:46 AM   #8
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

You'll have to be careful with polishers and white pads,you can easily take the shine off soft stones.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2010, 12:34 PM   #9
NSXTASY

So, I started to work on the marble today and decided to make an unlayed/ loose piece foggy to experiment on. So, I put the sealer/enhancer on a loose piece and let it dry nice and hazy for 20 mins. To my surprise, the haze wiped right off and left the marble perfect. This made me think...what else could have caused the haze and I remember the installers saying a couple times they thought it could have been the grout that caused the problem. They started putting the grout down maybe 30 minutes prior to starting the sealing and continued to apply grout as they were sealing the marble. They were in a hurry to finish the sealing and not wanting to return the following day, Christmas Eve. My guess is the sealer and grout mixed together to cause my problem.

With this new information, does anyone have any ideas or recommendations of how I can make my new floors look good? Should I try to find a professional marble cleaner/refinisher?
Unread 12-25-2010, 01:53 PM   #10
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd
They started putting the grout down maybe 30 minutes prior to starting the sealing and continued to apply grout as they were sealing the marble.
Did anyone suggest at any time that they might wanna read and follow the manufacturer's installation instructions for the product, Todd?

I can't find "Premium" Stone Sealer & Enhancer on the DuPont site, but both their Stone Sealer & Enhancer and their Premium Stone Sealer require a minimum of 72 hours grout cure time before application.

I think the only action you should be taking is calling these installers back to correct their mistake. At their expense, of course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron
dont let those guys touch it !!!!!
Cameron does have a point, though.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!

Last edited by cx; 12-25-2010 at 02:00 PM.
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2010, 03:37 PM   #11
ob1kanobee

What they did is, well for lack of words, not good.

Please take a little sealer and go to an inconspicuos spot on the floor or a leftover piece which has been sealed and cloudy and see if fresh sealer immediately wiped on and buffed off with some good elbow grease does not solve your problem as I suggested.

I know it seems counterintuitive but just trust me and give it a try at least. Sometimes the best thing to break down a sealer is the sealer itself and the longer you wait the harder it gets to do with this method.

Unread 12-27-2010, 08:23 AM   #12
NSXTASY

Tried the Sealer and it didn't change a thing. The installer has somewhat agreed it was appying the sealer and grout at the same time that caused the problem. They want to come out this Wed. and try to fix it. I want a professional marble refinisher to look at it and see if it is even repairable. Ob1kanobee, do you know anyone in Orlando you recommend? I've read online about a company called Marblelife. Thanks!
Unread 12-28-2010, 04:06 PM   #13
NSXTASY

A professional marble refinisher, from Marblelife, came out today and said the problem was caused by them grouting and sealing at the same time especially with an enhancing sealer which made it worse. He said it can be fixed with proper polishing and polishing powder at a cost of $340 (375 sf)
Unread 12-28-2010, 04:14 PM   #14
ob1kanobee

I am familiar with them and I would let them fix it. They are one of the better companies in these parts. I haven't heard anything negative about them.

When they are done with it, it will probably look better than a new piece.

Oh and if you have an NSX, that is a sweet car!

Unread 12-29-2010, 07:34 PM   #15
Stone Dude

thats actually a very fair price they quoted you.

marble life in general does not have a great reputation, but it is a franchise and there are some good branches out there.

it is possible that the grout itself was abrasive enough to dull the marble. when they scrubbed off the excess sealer, it would have rubbed the grout into the surface.

if I were doing it, I would do it the same way MarbleLife quote. Basically just polish it with a compound. It should look as good or better than new when done.

MilleStone Marble and Tile Inc.
MillestoneMarble.com
Stone Dude is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase