Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-08-2008, 09:32 AM   #1
BonesNTX

Figuring Re-Model - Enclosed Porch to Bedroom/Bath

Hello,

WE are about to begin this construction on one of our houses to add a bedroom and bath.

Currently we have an enclosed porch of about 24 x 24 feet and the floor is P-Gravel. We intend the bedroom to be Tile/Carpet and Bath to be Tile.

What is the best way to achieve a good floor over the P-Gravel to handle the up-coming flooring?

I'm thinking....Fibre Re-Inforced Concrete about 2 inches thick to = adjoining room floor level?

Ideas Please?

Thanks

Chris
BonesNTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-08-2008, 10:12 AM   #2
Deckert
Remodeling and Tile Contractor

2" is too thin. I would shoot for 4" of concrete over a bed of compacted gravel. There is likely a requirement for a moisture barrier as well before the concrete is poured, but check your local codes to see what they do in your neck of the woods.
HeenanGC.com
Deckert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2008, 12:08 PM   #3
BonesNTX

This OLD P-Gravel/Concrete...you know the kind that the surface looks like rocks.

I don't think I can add 4" thick as this floor is currently about 2" below the adjoining room.
My goal is to make them even.

I discussed this with a friend of mine at lunch. He is an old time builder gone Engineer so we eat lunch together. He said if we lay carpet / pad, we will never feel it. For the Bathroom, prior to tiling put in the self leveling prep and tile-away.

Thanks

Chris
Unread 10-08-2008, 02:37 PM   #4
amdskip

So it is a rough concrete. Are you sure it is beefy enough for a bedroom and bathroom? Won't you have to cut a bunch of it out for plumbing? If you wanted to raise it I'd almost go with sleepers (2x4's) and plywood over it and then your finished floor or prep for tile.
Unread 10-09-2008, 08:14 AM   #5
Deckert
Remodeling and Tile Contractor

Sorry Chris, I get ya now. I thought you meant an actual loose bed of pea gravel. What it sounds like you have is a concrete patio slab with an exposed aggregate finish. Thats a different kettle of fish
HeenanGC.com
Deckert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2008, 02:50 PM   #6
BonesNTX

Deckert wrote"Sorry Chris, I get ya now. I thought you meant an actual loose bed of pea gravel. What it sounds like you have is a concrete patio slab with an exposed aggregate finish. Thats a different kettle of fish"

Yes that is what it is....P-Gravel imbeded into the slab. That's a thick slab of about 18" exposed above grade.

I was very surprised about what my Friend suggested of just put down pad and then carpet.

I can't imagine anything sticking to the existing P-Gravel other than concrete and I would only consider fibre re-inforced to make the approx 2" thickness not an issue. (The heavyest thing it will have on it is our bed )

Yes a little hammering to get a drain pipe in for the toilet.
Maybe a side draft toilet and then no hammering.

Getting the impression that what I am asking about nobody has experience with?

Thanks

Chris
Unread 10-10-2008, 04:41 AM   #7
bbcamp

I was hoping CX would stop in. He's got tons of experience with concrete.

My only concern would be that the fiber-reinforced slab won't bond to the exposed aggragrate concrete, and you'll have a hollow sounding floor that may eventualy crack. If you were going to carpet over the new slab, it wouldn't be as much of an issue. If tile, you'd want to install a membrane over the whole thing, and treat the joint between the old and new concrete as an expansion joint.

I think I would secure the new concrete with either lath tapconned to the old slab, or epoxy some short L-shaped re-bar dowels into the slab so you can tie in some 4x4 welded wire reinforcement. A thorough cleaning of the slab and a suitable bonding agent would complete the prep work. You'd still treat the joint between old and new concrete as a expansion joint.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2008, 05:53 AM   #8
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Injineer Bob
I was hoping CX would stop in. He's got tons of experience with concrete.
Yeah, and not all of it good.

If you wanna tile over that slab, Chris, I'd recommend reinforced deck mud rather than trying to pour concrete over it. You appear to have the necessary height available.

Pouring thin sections (2" is about the minimum) of concrete is tricky business when it comes to adhering to the existing and keeping it from cracking and such. I know there are companies who specialize in that sorta work, but I avoid it whenever possible.

Another consideration is whether you have actual exposed aggregate concrete or a topping that looks much the same but is and acrylic topping. Really tough to get any Portland-based material to stick to that stuff, amongst other problems.

I'd say isolated, reinforced deck mud is by far the best choice for what you appear to be dealing with.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2008, 06:43 AM   #9
scuttlebuttrp
Tile Contractor -- Jacksonville, FL.

Can you cut out the existing peagravel slab and just repour the whole thing a correct thickness?

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase