Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-09-2006, 12:18 PM   #1
mrmartin7

steam shower worries and woes

Hi Everyone,
I am doing a remodel of my upstairs and have decided to put in a steam shower.
My contractor has not done one before and is as lost as I am. The place I bought my unit, a Mr. Steam, and the door sent instructions, but not much in the way of recommended products. So our plan is to use a membrane to seal everything and then use redgard or laticrete to seal all the seams. Then to put up cement backer board and tile on this. Is this the way to go? I live in the NW and we have HUGE issues with mold and I want to do this right.
Also, I am being required to vent the shower by my building inspector. Can someone tell me exactly what kind of vent to use?
I am very very nervous about this since my contractor is not very knowledgeable about it and want to make sure I get it done well.
Thanks so much,
Michelle
mrmartin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-09-2006, 12:33 PM   #2
JTG

Good Morning Michelle
Do a search here for steam shower. There is a ton of information. These need to be build right and you and the contractor need to be familiar with steps.
One of the most important you already have backward. "Put up membrane and Redguard or Latacrete seams and then put up backerboard" Do that and you will have a bunch of holes in the membrane from the fasteners used to put up the backer. All the penetrations are not good.
So read up and good luck
JTG

Santa Seattle
Ballard

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/SantaJerryinBallard
JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2006, 12:50 PM   #3
mrmartin7

Thanks for the reply. I have read extensively on the website and have gotten lots of different info. The one thing I can't find is a good recommendation on a fan for the shower. Any ideas?
Unread 11-09-2006, 06:06 PM   #4
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Michelle,

Consider using the Kerdi method.

I would locate the fan outside the shower. I don't know anything about fans that might go inside. I think the motor would have to be remote to preclude rusting. Hand tight. Others will be piping in.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2006, 06:42 PM   #5
mrmartin7

Thanks for the reply
Everything I've read everywhere says to not put a vent in the shower itself, but
the building inspector says the VIAQ ruling requires that I put one in. I've not had any luck changing his mind so I'm trying to figure a way to do this and make things watertight still.
Unread 11-14-2006, 11:59 PM   #6
Elk Hunter

Michelle,
Look at the website FanTech.
The fan motor is mounted away from the shower using a 6" or 8" duct. They are designed to be used in a steam shower.
You can also get one with a light mounted in the shower grille.
Good luck,
Brian
Elk Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2006, 10:46 AM   #7
ashroyer

I'm in the process of putting a steam shower in myself. I'm using a Mr Steam unit and Kerdi for the membrane, seemed like the best all around setup. Everyone I talked to told me not to put the fan inside the shower.

Most recommendations were to put it right outside the shower door and you can leave the door open for half an hour or so while you run the fan if you need to. One step better is to add a transom to the top of the door.
Unread 11-15-2006, 10:59 AM   #8
doitright
Retired Tile & Stone Contractor

Steam Shower Exhaust Fan

Hi Michelle and Andy

Most bathroom fans or light/fans can be used inside the shower (if code requires). Two very important factors. First check with the manufacturer that their unit can be used inside the shower. Second, make sure the unit is correctly hooked up to a GFCI circuit.

I think the transom window or the remote units are best if they can be implemented.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2006, 11:03 PM   #9
Elk Hunter

Fan Tech fans are designed for steamrooms.
No GFCI is required because the lights are stepped down to 12 volts
Elk Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase