Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-12-2021, 02:21 PM   #1
barryshannon

Beefing up floor for slate tile.

Hi,

I plan on putting 12 in. W x 24 in. L x 3/8 in. thick slate tile in my kitchen/dining room. The tile weighs about 60 lbs per 10 sq. ft.

We have an unfinished basement with exposed joists which are in good condition, 9.25 inches tall, 1.5 inches wide, 16 inches on center, and 11.5 feet long between supports. This includes one supporting beam between two walls. The beam itself has a pillar for support 5 feet in from the wall, and another pillar every 7 feet after that.

I have never sistered joists before so I don't know how much wiring/plumbing is too much to make it a big job, but I have attached some pictures for reference.

Would sistering be the only option in my case or is there anything else that I could do to get my deflection to L / 720?

Thanks!
Attached Images

Unread 02-12-2021, 03:02 PM   #2
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

The sistering you're proposing would be significant work. Remove and replace most all electrical and plumbing in the affected area.

If you were to install beams and lally columns, like what's pictured, mid span on the joists, I suspect you could get there without sisters. Bear in mind that the lally columns need to bear on footings that would require excavation and pouring concrete at each location.

So in theory, it could be done. Do you intend to finish basement beyond what we see?

Silicone (not silicon) Sealant Ranger
Carbidetooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2021, 03:30 PM   #3
barryshannon

I don't have any plans to finish the basement so adding extra beams wouldn't be an issue if that's the best approach. I'm guessing since 16" on center is pretty common that reducing the joist length would be the approach that would have the greatest impact anyway.
Unread 02-12-2021, 04:24 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Barry.

You needn't put that support beam in the center of your joist span if it'd be more convenient somewhere else. You need only reduce that unsupported span a couple feet (less if the joist are of good grade and species) to get the deflection down where it needs to be for natural stone tile. Plans, or lack of plans, for future use of that space can change, eh?

You must also add a second layer of subflooring to accommodate the stone tile.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase