Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-22-2020, 01:06 PM   #1
Pete Hackmen

Tile on stainless steel window flashing

Greetings. I've encountered an unfamiliar situation with a tub surround tile job. The long wall has a window that has been flashed with a stainless steel flashing material. The window buck was constructed with a nice slope, then covered in this peel-and-stick material. The "flaps" hanging out have not yet been peeled, presumably so that I may overlap them onto the wall board and stick them down to it.

Before I embark on a series of experiments ... does anybody have advice wrt this setup? My first thought is Kerdi board on the walls, overlap the flashing, stick it down, caulk the very corner bits, and then pretend the flashing is Kerdi band -- tiling right on the metal. Not sure if a special tile adhesive will be needed for stainless though.
Attached Images

Last edited by Pete Hackmen; 12-22-2020 at 03:07 PM.
Pete Hackmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 12-23-2020, 02:49 AM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Welcome to the forum, Pete!

What do you think about simply removing that and replacing it with an appropriate tile backer with a surface applied waterproofing?

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2020, 11:31 AM   #3
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

I'm betting that's aluminum, not stainless steel.

To many "what ifs" for me, I'd approach with known quantities. Line window with 3/16" Kerdi Board and attach with Kerdi fix. On top of flashing if it's really well adhered, to framing if it comes off fairly easy. I'd eliminate the fold-overs in either case.

An interesting idea, using external flashing/rainscreen material on the interior, but seems not to consider the realities of tiling and associated substrates.

Silicone (not silicon) Sealant Ranger
Carbidetooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2020, 12:01 AM   #4
Pete Hackmen

It seems a shame to pass up an opportunity to tie the window drainage plane into the wall's drainage plane. That seems like a good idea in theory.

But perhaps you're right, too many unknowns. Good that the window installer gave me some options, but probably safest to pretend he didn't. It's stuck down pretty darn good but might peel off OK if my little experiment of cutting a bit off and sticking it to a 2x4 is any indication. 3/16" Kerdi board is not common here, but there's plenty of room for 1/2".
Unread 03-31-2021, 10:46 AM   #5
Pete Hackmen

In case somebody else runs across this thread, here's the outcome.

I contacted a couple of adhesive makers (Mapei and Custom Building Products). While they have adhesives that will work for rigid stainless steel, they don't have anything that they think will work for this stainless steel peel-and-stick flashing stuff. So, that's a no go.

I ended up covering (with Kerdi board) the bits around the window that were already stuck to the framing and cutting off the flags that weren't yet stuck down. Around the window, both the Kerdi and the tile were caulked to the window.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase