Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-19-2015, 05:57 PM   #1
uconncraig

Tile leveling systems for homeowner

I am long time lurker on your great site. Thanks for all of the great advice.

I have viewed many threads on tile leveling systems but none that address my specific question.

I am about to begin my first tiling project. I will be using 12x12 rectified tiles with very square edges. I plan on using 1/8 inch spacing. I am very concerned that the combination of the square edges and 1/8 spacing will not be forgiving when it comes to lippage. I am considering using a tile leveling system as "training wheels" to assist me in performing a quality installation.

Because my use of the system will be few and far between, cost is a major consideration. It does not have to be the fastest, most durable or the most ergonomically friendly etc. It would just need to help me complete a quality job at a reasonable price. Any advice on which system to consider would be appreciated.
Unread 05-19-2015, 06:05 PM   #2
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

You might look on Ebay and pick up a used professional system like MLT. Or buy it, then sell what's left and the tool there to recoup some of the costs. Not saying that the system available at the big box stores is bad, but I think the pro systems are better.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2015, 06:28 PM   #3
67Cam

Home Depot sells the QEP tile leveling system. I'm looking into it for my 12x24 tile installation. It's very affordable and from my research, will help. I have no doubt the pro systems are much better but for a one time job, not financially realistic for me. Of course there are some strong opinions (pro/con) about the QEP product so you'll have to read the reviews, take the comments into consideration and decide for yourself.
Unread 05-19-2015, 07:36 PM   #4
Kman

Hello, Craig.

There are several threads in the Pro Hangout for the different systems. Here are a few:

MLT

Raimondi

LASH

You can type "leveling system" in the Advanced search feature, limit the search to the Pro Hangout, and find some more.

LASH will be the least expensive to use, and you'll have less invested in it if you don't intend to use it any more. As you'll read in the threads, there are differing opinions on it, and on other systems as well.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2015, 09:49 AM   #5
SlipperySamurai

Floor Leveling System

There are a couple leveling systems you can use. For a DIYer, I'd recommend a product from The Tile Shop called Pro-Level. You mix it up with water, they even carry specific buckets you can use to measure, pour it over your sub-floor. Dam up floor registers and thresholds. It will cure in 24 hours and you can even pour it on top of radiant heat systems.

I am not able to submit links yet, but you can Google pro level from the tile shop and it will take you there for more info.
Unread 05-23-2015, 10:45 AM   #6
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Ian. If you're in the tile trades in some capacity, please put that information into your User Profile so folks can look there and see what sort of fella is providing the information.

I believe what Craig (the OP) is looking for is a lippage reduction system for his tiles, rather than a self-leveling compound such as you're recommending. Such lippage reduction systems are too often incorrectly, in my opinion, referred to as "leveling" systems.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2015, 11:24 AM   #7
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

Welcome Ian! We're always appreciative of people that want to help share their knowledge with others. Start an introduction thread so people can get to know you.
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2015, 11:29 AM   #8
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

Craig, I would look into the Seamclip by Tuscan. If I remember correctly the initial costs on this are much lower than other systems because you don't need to buy a tensioning tool.

Whatever one that you end up using we'd appreciate it if you come back and leave feedback on it for others.

edit: It looks like Contractor's Direct has a starter kit for $45. If you buy from them use the "Tile Tools" link at the bottom of the page and it helps support this site.
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2015, 06:51 PM   #9
uconncraig

Thank You for the respsonses
Unread 05-29-2015, 11:29 AM   #10
skydivingcat

I think I am going to try the seam clips. I figure I am going to need about 2000 of the to finish my basement if I use 6 per tile.
Unread 05-29-2015, 12:33 PM   #11
mark999

Craig

I have been setting tile for over 25 years and never used a lippage system until this year. I went with the Raimondi system which is very reasonablely priced. You can get a starter kit (100 bucks) which comes with the tool and some wedges(reuseable) and clips which are about 20 cents each in smaller quantaties.

The system works very well . Only minor complaint was some of the clips did not break off clean. Most of those I pulled with a needle nose pliers and only a couple had to be cut with a sharp knife.

These systems are called leveling systems but they really just help with flattening/ lippage. Your substrate you are tiling on needs to be fairly FLAT. The larger the tile the flatter the floor needs to be. Get a straight edge about 10 foot and lay it on the floor in several places and direction. You should have no more than 1/8 variance. If more than 1/8 the floor needs to be preeped to make it flat. this will make your tiling job much much more easier.

Mark
Unread 05-29-2015, 01:16 PM   #12
zeaflal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig
Because my use of the system will be few and far between, cost is a major consideration.
Don't let cost be your only consideration. I tried the Tornado system a couple of years ago. Cost was right. But I eventually determined I had more lippage when I used it than when I didn't. Not a good value.
Unread 05-29-2015, 01:34 PM   #13
Ron
Tile Contractor

I agree with Mark. Those clips; I'm hooked on them. They've made me a better tile-setter although I always thought I didn't need them. I use a similar one to Raimondi's system that's available in Canada. Cost me about 12 cents a clip. I've never broken one even though a lot of pressure is exerted on it. Only for big, rectified tiles do I use them.

There is a lot less checking, re-adjusting and worrying when you use those. Well worth the cost.
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2015, 03:00 PM   #14
Ron
Tile Contractor

Just wanted to clarify ...for square tiles you only need 4 clips; basically you have to figure 2 on each of 2 sides of a tile. For large tiles like 30" x 30" and for large rectangular tiles such as 16" x 32" you'll need more. Also, if you're setting a running bond pattern or plank tiles, then you will need more than 4 per tile.
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2015, 03:21 PM   #15
Peter_C

I have a Tornado tiling system I would like to get out of the garage. I upgraded to an MLT system which was $540, so the Tornado is not needed anymore.

Probably have 235 rings or so, as they break occasionally, and base plates around 150 or so, as I am not going to count either (Don't have enough fingers and toes). Many of the rings have never been used, as it was only used on one bathroom before I switch to doing large format tiles of 24" and wanted more power!
http://www.contractorsdirect.com/Tor...72=250%20Rings
http://www.contractorsdirect.com/Tor...72=250%20Bases

Would let the Tornado system go for say $30, plus actual shipping.
Attached Images

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase