Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-07-2014, 08:50 AM   #1
Mike Kehoe

Can I frame a tile shower against a finished wall?

I live in upstate NY and am re-doing the bathroom in the coldest corner of my house, weather wise. The only good location for the shower is against two outside walls. I have insulated the walls, and would like to sheet rock the walls, for maximum insulation, heat retention, etc., before constructing the shower stall. Can I do that, and then frame the shower against the finished walls? (I am clear on how to construct the shower stall generally, with either cement board or kerdi) To be clear, what I am proposing is to build an entirely new shower stall frame, using 2x4s, but building it against the finished walls. I am also wondering if I do that, if I can frame it with the 2x4s against the walls sideways, to conserve space.

Last edited by Mike Kehoe; 07-07-2014 at 08:56 AM. Reason: additional info
Mike Kehoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-07-2014, 09:13 AM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

You could do that if you wanted, but I wouldn't. Rather than finish the existing wall and build another, I'd recommend you simply fur out the exterior wall by building another 2x4 wall, furring out the existing studs, or scabbing on some 2x6 to the existing 2x4 studs to make the wall thicker and add more insulation.

But that's entirely up to you, eh?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2014, 09:19 AM   #3
Bodie Powers
Retired cabinet maker/remodeler

1/2" drywall has an R factor of only .45 so not really helping you in that regard. Were you planning to insulate the new shower framing as well? Why not just sister 2x6 studs to existing and use R-21 5-1/2" batts on those outer walls?

Maybe someone will come along with a better suggestion.

Edit: Man, gotta be quick around here!

Last edited by Bodie Powers; 07-07-2014 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Man, gotta be quick around here!
Bodie Powers is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase