Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-04-2021, 10:51 AM   #1
dlr4k

Can I make matte finish tile to glossy finish?

We selected porcelain tile for the floor of our vintage bathroom rehab project. Sample in store is white matte octagon with white glossy dots. When we ordered sample the dots are not glossy. Store says their supplier changed. I've ordered a few samples from other places that say the dots are glossy but the sample that arrives does not have glossy dots. From photos, there is a lot of tile where the dot is colored that is glossy but we want all white. This is really the only tile my husband and I could agree on Soooo.. my question is:

Is there anything I could apply to the dots in the tile before it is laid that would make them glossy and would wear well for a bathroom floor situation? Obviously I'm desperate and willing to put in the time, if it will get us the look we want.

Deb
Attached Images

Unread 05-04-2021, 11:06 AM   #2
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Anything you could apply to the tile at home would wear off, so the practical answer is no. Is the tile glazed, or is it a through-body porcelain?

If you can find someone who does pottery, you could cut the dots out, then have them apply a clear glaze and fire them. It would be a pain, but if you were careful, you could get them back in the sheet individually and align them. That would make them slightly thicker from the extra coat of glaze, but by using say a grout float when setting them in the thinset, you could get them at the same height.

If they're a through body porcelain, again, it would be a pain, but you could polish the surface to make them shiny. You'd probably have to remove them as well to do that to prevent messing up adjacent tile.

Bottom line, with enough time and money and effort, yes, you could make them shiny, but is it worth it to you? Practical, no, possible, yes.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2021, 11:25 AM   #3
john619

get new gloss white tile and cut into squares and replace all of them on the mesh.
Unread 05-04-2021, 01:36 PM   #4
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by John
get new gloss white tile and cut into squares and replace all of them on the mesh.
That would work, but cut edges, tend to be sharp, and if glazed, softening that edge can be a major pain, especially on lots of small tiles. If you get over aggressive in softening the edge, and it's not a through body tile, you can expose the base ceramic material and you might end up with lots of small chips, depending on your blade and saw.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 07:51 AM   #5
dlr4k

Thanks for the replies and info. I've ordered one last ditch effort sample but I suspect it will be the same as the others. I think I found somewhere where I could order the glossy dots but I think placing them exactly straight within the spot in the tile will be extremely difficult. I'm prepared to settle for the all matte finish tile at this point.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase