Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-24-2020, 12:51 PM   #1
inhomevet

advice please -Teeny tiny strip of drypack mud needed for kerdi pan that is too small

Hi

I've tried to research this on this forum and elsewhere, but can't find the answer.

I have a 2 inch by 48 inch gap between the kerdi shower pan and the kerdiboard shower wall that I want to fill with drypack mortar mix. Plywood subfloor is the underlayment over top of 2x10 floor joists.

The kerdi company youtube videos show the mortar mix being applied directly to the plywood gap on a small gap like this.

After reading this forum, I have read about metal lathe/wire, roof tar paper, and also seen thinset mortar applied over the plywood subfloor in another video.

I really am trying to figure out the proper layering in order to do this right the first time. Is it so small that I can just do Plywood-drypack mortar mud pan the gap?

Or, do i need to do: plywood-tar paper-lathe-mortar mudpan the gap?

thank you all in advance

stay safe and healthy
inhomevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-24-2020, 01:23 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, RF.

Just fill the gap as recommended by Schluter. I'd recommend you dampen the plywood to keep it from sucking the moisture out of your deck mud first.

I don't think it's a great idea, but, then, I don't much like the idea of the foam trays unless they perfectly fit the shower footprint and drain location. And then I like the concept only if a fella has more than three identical showers to build on the same site. But that's a different discussion.

You do understand that your subfloor needs be near perfectly level (very near) for you to have useful slope to drain in that foam tray, yes?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase