Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 03-23-2020, 10:49 AM   #1
chasjs

Haze/Grout release

I am a DIYer and have lurked on these forums for a few years and have taken away a lot of good advice. Thanks for all you guys contribute and share.

I thought I would post my questions here since it pertains to Flexcolor CQ. I used Flexcolor CQ about 3 years ago in a bathroom remodel and was satisfied overall but it did leave a slight haze on some of the tile. I did a good job of cleaning while I grouted per the directions but still had a little hase. At that time I used a sealer on the tile before grouting to minimize the grout removal issues. The tile was a polished Travertine.

Now I am doing a kitchen backsplash, once again using polished Travertine (what can I say, my wife loves the look). The tiles are 2x4 on 12 inch sheets with about a 3/32" space. I am planning on using the Flexcolor CQ again because I believe the epoxy grout will be superior for the kitchen. My concern is the slight haze. From reading the Mapei site and these forums, I am considering/planning on using a grout release.

My questions are these -

- What are the experiences of using a grout release with Flexcolor CQ? Any issues I should be aware of before I do this?
- Any product that is better than others? I would probably use the Mapei product assuming it would work the best with Mapei grout but that is an assumption.
- Right now as I understand the process, I would apply the grout release, grout and clean, use haze remover if necessary, then seal enhance. Comments?

Thanks for your help.
Unread 03-23-2020, 11:43 AM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome back, Chuck.

You'll do better with your own project thread rather than asking your project questions on a technical product-specific thread.

1. I have used a grout release with the similar Custom Fusion Pro single component grout on honed Travertine and it worked quite well. I've not used it with the Flexcolor CQ, but I find the grouts quite similar and would expect the results to be similar as well. Keep in mind that with a polished stone you may have some surprising results with that, or any other grout and it's best to do a test board using your tile and your grout and your grout release, if any.

2. I would also lean toward a MAPEI product for the grout release when using their grout. I don't recall the name of their product.

3. If you plan to enhance the stone, I would strongly recommend you contact MAPEI's technical service people before you go any further. I would think the enhancing would wanna be done before grouting, but they may have a different plan.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2020, 04:08 PM   #3
chasjs

CX

Thanks for your reply and advice. I did call Mapei and they were were very helpful. I will pass along some of what they told me. The grout release is not necessary if you are sealing since it is another sealer (it won't hurt anything). I should seal it first(use a water based sealer), then grout.

They also said to use original Windex with ammonia to clean up the haze. Here is their directions for that.

"If a slight film or residue appears on the surface of the tiles, within 24 hours you can use Windex with Ammonia, the ORIGINAL Formula, and a white scrub pad. This cleaning method will typically remove the acrylic haze or residue off the surface of your tiles."

This is specific to Flexcolor CQ grout.

Last edited by chasjs; 03-25-2020 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Clarification
chasjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2020, 05:48 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Thanks, Chuck. I'd not heard that MAPEI recommendation for Windex before and will try to remember it for later, although people my age are not noted for their memory capability.

We've known for a long time that their tech services phone line is very useful.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase