Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-14-2019, 08:38 AM   #1
H20xpurt

Outdoor Shower

I am installing an outdoor shower in Charleston, SC area. I would like to tile one wall that will have the shower fixtures. What substrate should I use to install the tile? I searched for how to tile outdoor showers and didn't find anything. If you know of a thread that provides the necessary info to do an outdoor shower that would be great. I currently only have 4x4 treated lumber for the start of the structure. Thanks for your help
Unread 12-14-2019, 08:58 AM   #2
e3

Send a message via Yahoo to e3
is there a drain or just running off ..might be to vague of a question to give detailed answers.
But Cement board for walls if you plan on tiling it.. but give some more ideas of you vision.
Unread 12-14-2019, 10:15 AM   #3
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Yes, please let us know what your vision is. Like, is this single wall an extension of another structure or will it be free-standing? What is the wall built over? And a picture would help put things into context with the rest of the immediate area.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2019, 06:42 PM   #4
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

FWIW, pressure treated lumber, especially when coming from the lumber yard, is way saturated and, as it dries out, tends to move around a bunch. That's not good for tile which is quite brittle and doesn't like to bend.

Is this over a slab? Were you planning on tiling both sides? If so, you could build it with a couple of 2" Kerdiboard panels, bonded together and thinsetted to the slab. As long as it went around a corner, it should be robust enough, totally stable, and not impacted by the weather (as long as you've covered it all with tile). https://youtu.be/5PUoCxUPpzA
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2019, 05:36 AM   #5
H20xpurt

The drain is already installed. It is travertine tile with a drain system.

This is totally free standing. One wall will be 8 inches from the house and it will be this wall that I wanted to tile. Plumbing will go behind this wall. There will be no ceiling and the side walls will be 22 gauge steel painted to look rusted. The door (opposite the tiled wall) will be steel as well with some type of frame and latch system. Still in the design phase but these are the ideas we have been thinking of. The 4 x4's are 48 inches apart and four of them are already installed. So bottom line we have a floor and four 4 x4's 48 inches apart from each other.

I have used Kerdiboard in our master bath and really like it but didn't know if you could use it outside. I was only going to tile one side. The back side close to the house you wouldn't see.
Unread 12-15-2019, 07:28 AM   #6
Tool Guy - Kg

Does that mean the vertical posts are supported by being partially buried? Can you share a picture?

Unread 12-26-2019, 08:41 AM   #7
H20xpurt

Picture of Shower

This is the picture of the bones of the shower. The old shower faucet and shower head are on the wall. These will be taken down. I was thinking about horizontal 2 x 4's and use cement boards. Use membrane on all the cement board and tile on the shower side of the cement board. Back would not be tiled. Hope this helps.
Unread 12-26-2019, 08:56 AM   #8
H20xpurt

Picture

I am having problems posting a picture. Picture is a JPEG and is 49kb so I'm not sure why it isn't posting. Anyway. Yes the 4x4's are buried with cement.
Unread 12-26-2019, 11:44 AM   #9
cx
Moderator emeritus

Are you using the paper-clip icon above the Reply dialog box, David?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2019, 10:55 PM   #10
Tool Guy - Kg

While we’re waiting for the pics, can I ask about the backside of the wall? You mentioned it won’t be tiled. You also mentioned a membrane over the cement board to be tiled. Will the backside be enclosed/waterproofed?

Unread 12-27-2019, 06:39 PM   #11
H20xpurt

I was thinking of red gard over the entire cement board.Front will be tiled and leave the back of the cement board with the red gard.
Attached Images

Unread 12-27-2019, 06:43 PM   #12
H20xpurt

Another Picture
Attached Images

Unread 12-27-2019, 07:43 PM   #13
cx
Moderator emeritus

I think there is some confusion here, David. At least I hope so.

What I see you saying is that you plan to put RedGard on the back/outside/side opposite the shower of the wallboard and tile the shower side. I got that right?

RedGard is what's known as a Load Bearing, Bonded, Waterproof Membrane for Thinset Ceramic Tile and Dimension Stone Installation according to ANSI A118.10. Yeah, very long name for a product that's meant to have ceramic tile bonded directly to it while providing waterproofing.

In your application, your would properly frame the enclosure, install your CBU walls per the manufacturer's instructions, including filling and taping the seams, and then apply the RedGard directly to the inside surface before installing the tiles.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Unread 12-28-2019, 03:53 PM   #14
H20xpurt

Yes. I would after cement board is installed properly red gard the whole cement board. Inside and outside. The outside would be facing the brick veneer on the house. That I would leave red gard and the inside of the shower tile. Is there a specific type of tile, thinnest and grout you recommend I use outside? I would like to use something close to the travertine tile that is on the floor. Thanks for all your help.
Unread 12-28-2019, 05:37 PM   #15
cx
Moderator emeritus

Looked back to see that it's only that one wall you plan to tile, David. What you propose would probably be OK, but I'd recommend you be careful not to put the RedGard on the bottom edge of that CBU so that any moisture that gets into it will have a way out.

In your area (it would help if you'd add that geographic location to your User Profile so it remains permanently in view) I expect you do get at least some freeze/thaw activity, yes? I'd recommend a porcelain tile, a good quality modified thinset mortar (ANSI A118.4), and a high performance cementitious grout (A118.7). Lots and lots out there to chose from. And you'll want to get as close as possible to 100 percent coverage of your bonding mortar on the back of each tile and 100 percent fill with your grout.

Critically important will be to select a CBU that is advertised as suitable for exterior use.

And you do understand that you need a couple more wall studs on that tiled wall, right?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase