Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-31-2003, 10:38 AM   #1
OneTimer

1920s reglazed tub to tile gap

Hi,

First post here. I've been lurking for a couple of days, and have done several word serches through the posts on my question, and have read some interesting threads, and seen some impressive DIY tile work photos.

Here's the deal: I'm putting in a tiled shower around an old (1920s) reglazed tub. I put roofing felt over the studs, and screwed Durock onto the studs. That's all the further I've gotten, both because the Daltile I have ordered (Rittenhouse, 3x6 x 5/16) hasn't come in yet, and because I have questions about waterproofing the gap where the bottom of the durock meets the tub. The tub does not have a vertical flange lip -- it just has a horizontal flange, and I just don't see how a bead of silicone is going to prevent water from getting through.

Questions:

1. Can I put Kerdi over the Durock, and attach it with something (Noblesealant?) to the tub?

2. Is there anything else I could consider to bridge this gap? I have read about C-cure Pro-red, and am wondering whether this is "gummy" enough to span a 1/4" gap.

3. The Durock at this point is flush with the tub. Should I unscrew it from the wall and fur out the bottom so it hangs over the tub?

Sorry I don't have a camera to posts shots -- might be able to borrow one.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Randy
OneTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 12-31-2003, 11:15 AM   #2
Sonnie Layne
Da Poet

If there is no tub flange, no point in furring anything out. Silly-Cone will work, if used right, but I'd save my breath on that one. As long as there's a poly/felt membrane behind it, tile it. If a eentsy beentsy bit of moisture finds its way up, where's it gonna go? Use thinset to set the tile and get a good night's sleep.
Unread 12-31-2003, 03:08 PM   #3
OneTimer

Thanks Sonnie. I'm more worried about water going down than up, since the bathroom is on the second floor, above my study. Would it be overkill to use something like a waterproof tape and goop (ala Laticrete) in that corner, and then silicone?

Randy
OneTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2004, 10:58 AM   #4
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Randy, Happy New Year.

I understand your concern, but silicone is very effective. You can seal between the backerboard and the tub now and later seal between tile and tub. I wouldn't bother with the other methods you've suggested.

Further, the best preventative anyone can apply to any shower is to completely dry it with a towel after each use.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase